The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brown pants moment!

Si_s Supe

This week is the 1st time I've really driven the Supra in the wet since I bought it. I have a little Fiesta as a daily so the Supra is my toy. I've always been impressed with the grip levels in the dry and all this week I used the Supra for my drive to and from work, taking it as a good chance to switch the slip control off and get to know the car in the wet. Got more and more at one with it and started to learn its limits.

Anyway, tonight I decided to go to Shell and top up with fuel for a trip to the in laws tomorrow. Pretty crappy weather, slip control ON, driving through a 30 zone at 30. Got some prick in an Astra van right on my back bumper. Never being one to speed in 30 & 40 zones, I bide my time knowing we're approaching a national speed limit and hold the car at 30 in 3rd. Get to the national speed limit and open up! Car slowly builds speed through 1st turbo then comes the rush of #2 and before I know what's happening I'm fully broad side with my HIDs illuminating the trees on the other side of the road!!

As it happens, I corrected with no drama and continued on my merry way...in 6th at 60! Really goes to show though...alway have your wits about you! I've had many RWDs before but to anyone with a TT as a first RWD, go easy!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's 'brown pants moments' so post away!

always a scare the first time that happens! i jumped straight outta a 1.6 mk7 fiesta zetec s daily to my 581bhp supra! the back end went into murder mode within the first drive home and from then on i knew i had to treat this car with some serious respect! glad to hear you managed to save the slide mate :)

Yep, I prefer traction control off too as I find it interferes too much. When it's on it's normally quite effective at stopping a slide but last night it was useless! The lights were flashing but had I not reacted like I did, I'd have been in a tree before the traction control knew what was going on!

My TT was my first ever high powered RWD car and I think I took it fairly easy but still lost the back end once (albeit on black ice) and put it in a hedge. Insurance paid up and all fixed but it taught me a big lesson with regards to respecting the car.

I drove the same bit of road the other day and found that the second turbo cut in in exactly the place where I lost control. I drive much more carefully now in any kind of potentially slippery conditions be it wet, ice or even leaves/mud on the road. I don't want to be one of the 'crashed the supe' threads on here!!!!

Yep I also had a close call last week, driving home on quite a greasy road and slowly accelerated out of a corner when the back end started stepping out, not normally a problem but the traction control came on so aggressively and cut the power to the rear wheels which threw the car in the other direction in a text book lift off overseer fashion. Thankfully there was plenty of room and no other cars. Needless to say its always off now!

Just a reminder peeps, the roads are pretty greasy at the moment, I have had a couple of them moments, though not that bad luckily! Like you said must have been an EPIC for the Astra driver! Needless to say he won't be hanging on any Supra rear end!

:D

As for RLTC...maybe another day! I think really' date=' slip control OFF is the way to go. At least that way you should half expect the odd twitch here and there. Having it switched on gives a false sense of security![/quote']

When you go bpu you may want to consider it. It's only off on a hot day with the r888's on.

I went to overtake a lorry the other day and put my foot down in 3rd. Once the 2nd turbo came in, the back stepped out a bit and I performed a pretty cool "drift" past the lorry.

I managed to correct it really easily and I think it only happened as I was going over white lines in the middle of the road.

I also have no TC.

Have had about 3 brown pants moments in my car. First time I lost the back end I was traveling at about 15 mph in the rain and went over a small white roundabout. The car stepped out and I crapped myself but corrected and drove off suffering palpitations.

The worst I have had, was when I was being a right tool, came to a large traffic light roundabout. Gave it beans having not slowed properly only to have a car pull out from a junction. I dabbed the breaks and the car spun completely out of control. I was heading towards the crash barriers on one side of the roundabout and so I turned the wheel hard and accelerated making the car spin instead of sliding. I narrowly missed half a dozen cars and was 180 to my original direction of travel.

I had RLTC but even this couldn't save me from my own stupidity.

Luckily I came to a stop with no injures or damage. There was no skill in this only luck and my wife was screaming at me and throwing things about in the cabin.

I felt and was an idiot.

I wont be doing that again any time soon.

I went to overtake a lorry the other day and put my foot down in 3rd. Once the 2nd turbo came in, the back stepped out a bit and I performed a pretty cool "drift" past the lorry.

I managed to correct it really easily and I think it only happened as I was going over white lines in the middle of the road.

I also have no TC.

If only everyone in this thread was as talented as you! Then we could turn our near crashes into cool drifts! :p