The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New wheels.. staggered or not ?

Kaamos

Alright, this may be a stupid question but as I have about no wheel-knowledge...

I'm looking for new wheels and therefore I'm hitting a whole bunch of question marks about offsets, arch clearance-tyre size etc....

Some of the options I get is to have the same rim width front and rear (IE 9.5 all around)

Very seldom Supes seem to have non-staggered setups, just wanted to know how big of an issue this could be... ?

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere....

Staggered wheels are more of a tyre balancing act than anything. Basically with a RWD car you want a bit more traction at the rear to balance out the difference when you are on throttle and cornering. Being on the throttle makes you more likely to lose traction so if you have the same width tyres on the front and rear it means that the rear will let go first. Having more grip on the rear to make a better match for the front is what balances the car out. Through just changing the tyre widths you can go from understeer to balanced to oversteer.

Having the correct size wheels helps you to fit the correct size tyres without having to stretch them on, or have them overly wide on the wheels.

That's how I understand it anyway.

I would recommend 0.5" bigger at the rear, same as stock, for anything up to BPU power. For an N/A it doesn't matter quite as much, hence why the wheels were the same width, but I would still have wider tyres on the rear.

Thanks for the explanations!

This is more or less what I had in mind, ad the end of the day it's yhe tyre width that matters, difference on rim width only helps fitting correct-sized tyres, hence 9.5j all around could suit with let's say 265/275 rear and 245/55 front, only difference against a classical 8.5j/9.5j would be the front tyres to be more stretched, if I got it right...

Forgot to mention I have a stock UKspec TT, no BPU whatsoever so far....

@Lude, what tyre sizes do you have if I may ask ?

Edited by Kaamos (see edit history)