The mkiv Supra Owners Club

93 NA Auto no power & backfire

Guest Engineer

Guest Engineer

Hi Guys, well my problem is this,

High idle ( don't drop ), no acceleration, backfire at high revs, use paper clip no codes light on all the time no flashing at all, used ODBi reader no codes ,

Replaced plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, air filter & fuel filter.

It's at mechanic now & he's stumped, getting new distributor 1st then if no joy ECU,

Dose this sound right?

When did it start playing up, did it just start happening whilst driving? Any work done on the car before it started missing, had it been stood for a while, had you washed the car, etc.? What plugs have you fitted? Does it have a standard ECU? Any more info you can give us on any modifications and when it started playing up may help diagnose the issue.

Guest Engineer

Wife came home at 10 pm then going out next day about 2pm that's when she said its a flat battery & won't go lol,

Replaced all the above,

Mechanic did compression test all ok, thinks its either distributor or ECU, that's all I have I'm afraid, no car wash, just started out the blue

Edited by Engineer (see edit history)

Wife came home at 10 pm then going out next day about 2pm that's when she said its a flat battery & won't go lol,

Replaced all the above,

Mechanic did compression test all ok, thinks its either distributor or ECU, that's all I have I'm afraid, no car wash, just started out the blue

There have been a few cases recently of ECU's causing issues, there's bound to be someone on the forum who has a spare one you could borrow to test.

Copy of service manual HERE may be of help.

I'd also clean up and secure the ground points and battery terminals.

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/manual/route/95elec_034.jpg

Guest Engineer

Thanks guys managed to get destributor and 2jz-GE A/T ECU thanks go out to Keron cheers mate, going to get them changed then see if a dam good kicking will do the trick

Guest Engineer

That was some hard reading, one thing I must say at this point the fuel consumption is so high, is it possible the fuel pump is pumping way to much fuel & caused backfire at 4000rpm, what I noticed was the fuel pressure regulator was tapping so replaced it 1st but fault still their and still tapping.

So fuel pump sending in so mutch making Fuel Pressure Regulator to tap, causing to much fuel & backfire at high revs , is it possible ? Dose anything force the pump to work harder flooding system when reving, going to test pump tomorrow I think

Guest Engineer

Stupid question but dose the 'overdrive' & 'MANU' buttons wire directly into the ECU at passenger footwell or are they via an automatic transmition ECU then into main car ECU in footwell, it's a J-spec 93 NA 2jz-ge.

I'm sure my problem is this, for no reason ( nothing touched) this light comes on & car running normal, then goes off again & fault back, can't get codes with reader or paper clip, looking like a short or ECU fault

Guest Engineer

Sorry thinking to much, the "MANU" light comes on under L 2 D N P.

Looks like each button has led linked to internal lights & each button has a link to ECU via j-box & fuse & kickdown also to dash plug in ribbon, cheers Ian C

Guest Engineer

This is strange, working on car to find problem cable, battery went flat (when MANU light comes up on dash ECU fault Light goes out & car runs fine again) so took off +12v batt terminal over night, came next day charged battery & car started 1st time running like a dream in 3-4 weeks ( MANU light working 100%) error code light flashing on & off, OBDI reader able to read no faults.

Before OBDI can't read ECU codes, ECU error light on & not flashing, MANU light not working on dash Carr running bad.