The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Offset question

DMY23

I'm hoping someone that knows a bit more about wheels might be able to help. I'm looking for a new set of alloys for the supra, and have seen few sets with 10j rear wheels. My question is what is the min/max offset needed on a 10j wheel for a stock bodied supra?

Where you looking for wheels fella? There's loads of Driftworks :) As a rule of thumb i went with the below, as i wanted to fill the arches nicely AND get maximum amount of rubber on the ground, i wasnt interested in smaller wheels then spacing them out. I'm going to be running 275's rear, possibly 285's depending on how much space i have to play with after the roll. The guy from archenemy seems to think i will end up with +15mm.

Optimum wheels: 9.5j +35 front - - 10j +35 Rear

Where you looking for wheels fella? There's loads of Driftworks :) As a rule of thumb i went with the below, as i wanted to fill the arches nicely AND get maximum amount of rubber on the ground, i wasnt interested in smaller wheels then spacing them out. I'm going to be running 275's rear, possibly 285's depending on how much space i have to play with after the roll. The guy from archenemy seems to think i will end up with +15mm.

Optimum wheels: 9.5j +35 front - - 10j +35 Rear

Been looking on driftworks quite a bit but nothings caught my eye yet. I like the Works meisters, SSR profs, Volk GTC's and GTS's and Wedsport SA70TT. So its not like I've expensive taste in wheels lol. I've seen a set of the Wedsports for sale but I need to find out what the offsets are.

Been looking on driftworks quite a bit but nothings caught my eye yet. I like the Works meisters, SSR profs, Volk GTC's and GTS's and Wedsport SA70TT. So its not like I've expensive taste in wheels lol. I've seen a set of the Wedsports for sale but I need to find out what the offsets are.

All those Japanese manufacturers will list the ideal sizes and offsets for the Supra, if you are buying new get the supplier to contact the manufacturer.

For reference I had the Weds SA-70 (not the TT's) on my car, these were 18x9 +32 18x10 +32, arches needed rolling a little, pics in my garage HERE

All those Japanese manufacturers will list the ideal sizes and offsets for the Supra, if you are buying new get the supplier to contact the manufacturer.

For reference I had the Weds SA-70 (not the TT's) on my car, these were 18x9 +32 18x10 +32, arches needed rolling a little, pics in my garage HERE

Yep, thats right.. When I bought my wheels, I requested 8.5J FR and 9.5J RR, the guy at the shop called SSR directly, they recommended 9J/10J... I was worried about the clearance to the arches, but it was spot on.. The rears might touch with a larger tyre, but SSR specs was 100% on the money..

For reference the offset is 44mm on the FR and 37mm at the RR.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question for the offset-gurus out there, if I may take advantage of this thread....

I'm after a set of 19" rota Grids, 8.5j front 9.5j rear.

8.5j front seems to be et38, flat spokes, not concave, too bad but it's the only option I have.

But the rear wheels 9.5j come with either et38 or et20, what's the best option to run the widest tyres without rolling the arches and getting that nice concave look ? (and to clear UKbrakes)

Edited by Kaamos (see edit history)

Another question for the offset-gurus out there, if I may take advantage of this thread....

I'm after a set of 19" rota Grids, 8.5j front 9.5j rear.

8.5j front seems to be et38, flat spokes, not concave, too bad but it's the only option I have.

But the rear wheels 9.5j come with either et38 or et20, what's the best option to run the widest tyres without rolling the arches and getting that nice concave look ? (and to clear UKbrakes)

The flat face grids and gtr's dont look very good imo, id go 9.5 et38 front and 9.5 et20 rear and roll the arches.

The flat face grids and gtr's dont look very good imo, id go 9.5 et38 front and 9.5 et20 rear and roll the arches.

Would that require a drastic roll or a small one? The flat fronts on the grids is pretty much the only thing putting me off them. If i can go 9.5 all round it'd be a winner.

Could you still run 265 on the front or would you need to stretch them a little?

Would that require a drastic roll or a small one? The flat fronts on the grids is pretty much the only thing putting me off them. If i can go 9.5 all round it'd be a winner.

Could you still run 265 on the front or would you need to stretch them a little?

Should be easy, i had rota 10" et20 on the rear of the v8 supra with just a light arch roll, i also had 9.5 et25 on the front of my supra when i tried out the rota gtr's for a short while, they was stock arches, 265 might be a bit big on the front, 255 would be better id have thought.

hehe, seems I'm not the only one that don't like the flat face that much.... unfortunately I couldn't find a way to avoid them so far....

Jamie, thing is, with your 9.5 all around option, it bothers me for 2 reasons :

- I'd have to stretch the front tyres quite a lot on 9.5 rims if I want to keep a decent difference between 265/ish rear tyres and 245-ish fronts, and this is not gonna look very good imo(but then flat face rims won't either so..... either way I'm trapped)

-Rollin the arches is really something I don't wanna go through atm because I have neither the money nor the time to do it, and I know no trustable company to take car of this in my area.... I'm already struggling to find a place to fix my boot hatch and it's not an easy job (I mean, finding a workshop, not fixing the boot).

Monsween, I guess 265 is fine on a 9.5 rim but then probably big for the front.... plus, then how wide would your rear be ?

I was told minimum tyre width for 9.5j rim was 245, max 275, ideal being either 255 or 265

edit : sorry for double-posting you jamie, I was writing my reply without noticing there was a 2n page in this thread now :)

Edited by Kaamos (see edit history)

245 will be fine on a 9.5 rim, 255's would be perfect imo, i run 265's on my front wheels that are 11" wide, and thats not what i would call a big stretch.

Thats a 255 on the front with a 9.5 wheel with an et 25 under a stock arch thats not been rolled.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/rotaanddrag021.jpg

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

So maybe it's more a matter of difference between front and rear tyre width than just the absolute width on each drivetrain.... 9.5 all around with 245front and 265/245 rear would be fine then ? without archroll i guess/hope ?

So why bother with staggered setups ? (which I was already wondering about in this topic : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?259182-New-wheels-staggered-or-not&highlight=staggered)... it just makes having balanced tyre width easier without stretching them too much and that's it ?

Should be easy, i had rota 10" et20 on the rear of the v8 supra with just a light arch roll, i also had 9.5 et25 on the front of my supra when i tried out the rota gtr's for a short while, they was stock arches, 265 might be a bit big on the front, 255 would be better id have thought.

Cheers JP, Beer + 1