The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hubcentric wheel spacers

viper

Hi all,

im lookign at gettign some hubscentric wheel spacers for the back as the veilside archs at the rear are slightly wider than i thought, i was hoping 25mm spacers would of been ok but im needed a hell of a lot more.

I know you can buy sill sized ones, but realisticaly what do people think about putting abnormal sized hubcentric spacers on, in talking upto 100mm each side extending the track by 200mm

id be intrested to hear you opinions, im guessing its going to be very one sided.

Widening the wheels won't make a difference as they only widen in the way.

If you are needing 100mm spacers then you haven't got Veilside arches. They come in +20 (the ones I have) and +50 (the larger ones).

I wouldn't let spacers that size near my car. The amount of shear force at the start of the stud would be far too high. Hitting a bump would bend the mating faces apart losing the friction surface and putting the strain on the studs. Very dangerous IMO.

25mm is the highest I would take it but I've heard of people using 50mm without any trouble. 100mm is just asking for grief.

If there hubcentric there wont be any shear force on the studs but lots of out

of balance leverage on the hub etc

There will be though mate, due to the length of the hub. The force will be a FxD leavering effect rather than a perpendicular force.

Simple test, put a 100mm hubcentric spacer onto your hub without any studs in it. Push the very edge of the spacer upwards and it will come away from the lower face of the hub with VERY little effort. It doesn't matter how accurate the bore size is to the lip of the hub, it will still put strain on the studs.

This is overcome by bolting the hubcentric spacers on very tightly to the hub face. The wider the spacers, the further away the end point is from the hub face and the less force it takes to lower the friction made between the hub and the spacer. This then puts the strain onto the studs both as they are being stretched and the anglular shear force is now being put upon them.

This is the reason I wouldn't personally go over 25mm. At 25mm it still takes a hell of a lot of force to fulcrum the hub from the face.

FWIW the spigot on the hub is for centering, not for load bearing. The friction between the wheel and the hub deals with holding it in place. If you fitted normal spacers with no spigot centering would be difficult but there would be no issue with the wheel coming away IMO. If you fit really big spacers though, due to the above reasons, it would be very dangerous as the wheels could pull off centre when the friction is lost.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Yeah, I'm going to spend hours of my time making something for someone I know as "ripped_fear" ;)

I can't actually make anything anymore, I don't have any access to the machine shop :(

lol at the comment about my user name, believe me I hate it as much as you laugh :D need to contact a mod to get it changed :p

shame about you not having access anymore, im sure there would be plenty of people rolling up for spacers at a good price.

shame about you not having access anymore, im sure there would be plenty of people rolling up for spacers at a good price.

You'd have to be a trader though wouldn't you :)

Also unless your nicking the material you'd probably need way more than £20 just to buy that ;)

You'd have to be a trader though wouldn't you :)

Also unless your nicking the material you'd probably need way more than £20 just to buy that ;)

He would yeah, or organise a group buy or something, but if £20 is enough to cover fee's then you could times that price by 3 and still be damn cheaper than most ebay rubbish. But it doesn't make any difference anyway if he hasn't got access to the facilities any more.

Very intresting reading about all the forces etc.

From measuring i thin 100 is over kill 75mm is probably what id need, iv found a place that can make hubcentric/pcd adapter spacers, that size for £175.

Im not doing mad speeds or track daying it, i just want the stance untill a nice set of wheels pop up and i have the money.

The guys that are going to make them up seem to knwo what they are doing they are going to make them as pcd adaptors but with the same pcd inner and outer aparently they are a better design.

personally i dont see the diffrence between hubcentric and pcd adpators apart from the ability to make them with a diffrent external pcd to fit diffrent pcd wheels.

Just checked, the material isn't too bad for engineering grade...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Round-Bar-Rod-6-Diam-x-100mm-Long-/150323904109?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item230000be6d

Could get 3 25mm ones out of that no bother.

youd only get two 25mm out of this as youd need another 10mm on each to create the lip either side of the spacer to make then hubcentric, thats if you wanted hub centric

think i mright there correct me if im wrong

youd only get two 25mm out of this as youd need another 10mm on each to create the lip either side of the spacer to make then hubcentric, thats if you wanted hub centric

think i mright there correct me if im wrong

Yup, spot on. I was talking about the 25mm spacers that I made though ;)

yep 100mm would be madness.

Im afraid guys, im gunna give the 75mm a try, having them made up over the weekend by a genuin comapany who make any spacers to order, considering a set of 25mm hubcentric spacers cost anything between £90-£140 im getting 75mm hubcentrics custom made for what i think to be ok.