The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sticker Front Number Plate

Josh42

Gaz, that's absolutely awesome, a top solution there, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to build that, and cheers everyone will probably just get one made up and see how it goes.

The law states that "postcode, and BS have to be present", "reflective material" and dont 3M do a reflective vinyl?

If I remember right Jamie P has a bike sized plate fitted on the front of his?

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.658727,-2.025985

Gaz, that's absolutely awesome, a top solution there, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to build that, and cheers everyone will probably just get one made up and see how it goes.

The law states that "postcode, and BS have to be present", "reflective material" and dont 3M do a reflective vinyl?

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.658727,-2.025985

Sticky ones are illegal becuase by uk law they have to be of plastic construction. Have a look in my garage that is the minimal size for a jap import.

It also says it must be fixed at a solid, upright angle on the most forward part of the car though... if I were doing it again I'd do what I did with my stock bumper. Have holes in there but keep it in the car and say it fell off.

Like I said, you take your chances. You might never get pulled over, or you may find the copper with a bee in his bonnet who wants to throw the book at you. Depends on a million things. I ran with a vinyl plate for a while, but decided against it after a few mates got pulled.

Lol! Few of my mates have got stickers but they've not had problems, like you said, suppose it comes down to whether the orifice is on a late shift =\

May just run with a sticker until getting pulled then plead ignorance.

Really love the honesty of people on this forum =P

I just checked direct.gov and it doesn't say about it being plastic, just "the registration plate should be constructed of a reflective material"

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.658705,-2.026183

I have a stick on one on my mx5 which didn't pass it's MOT last week...I guess it's a risk you take but I prefer the way it looks. Some idiot stole the original front plate (actually unscrewed it be pinched it, leaving the back one?!). Would love one of the electric fold ones though! Lovely!

Mines been on my for years and never had a problem, its the correct size though which helps.

It is pot luck though and you only need 1 jobsworth to spot it have nothing better to do and your

going to be in big trouble lmao.

Sticking it infront of your rad and or intercooler isnt a great idea unless ofcourse you

have the electronic folding type but then the boys in blue would be even happier

to nick you for perverting the course of justice i'd imagine.

I'll keep running the gauntlet till i get told otherwise :)

I had mine made by a local sticker company for £5 i think, http://www.bakerward.co.uk

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Sticking it infront of your rad and or intercooler isnt a great idea unless ofcourse you

have the electronic folding type but then the boys in blue would be even happier

to nick you for perverting the course of justice i'd imagine.

Why? It was always kept locked down on the road and raised for motorsport ;)

I've not had a front number plate for ages. Removed the mesh, couldn't decide where to put it so left it off! As soon as the intercooler is fitted I'm definitely going to put it somewhere, the windscreen just doesn't do it for me. I was thinking of having it at the bottom of the bumper as a 45° angle, upright position that is definitely not :(

Wouldn't you think the police/judge might see it differantly maybe ?

and blocking off the airflow to the rad etc isn't a good idea for obvious reasons

The traffic coppers I asked thought it was a great idea as long as it stayed down on the road. Why wouldn't they?

My FMIC (and the rad behind it) got more than enough air. My AITs were fine, as was my water temperature.

What's the fine for this DNK?

Using a reg plate that is incorrectly spaced, sized or made from non reflective material

looks like it could get you a fine of up to £1000 and the plate confiscated, so if it

was a reg you'd bought you might lose it !

I use a stick on one

Yeah it doesn't look as pretty but more air going in and less obstruction. It doesn't have the BS marking on it though. Whenever I take it for MOT I just uses a double sided sticky pad and stick it on to the stick on plate, no trouble so far. The MOT guys were having a slight argument with each other when I asked the question and one said "what about caterhams and kit cars? we pass those with stick on plates? true.

I couldn't find a decent way to fix a normal one to the bumper and was worried about it ripping out at speed if I made up some brackets.

The traffic coppers I asked thought it was a great idea as long as it stayed down on the road. Why wouldn't they?

My FMIC (and the rad behind it) got more than enough air. My AITs were fine, as was my water temperature.

I think it was Dude who got knicked for having a flip plate on his bike.

Bike plates don't lock down though do they?
I dont know to be honest, would guess they could be made to in the same way you got yours to flip? Solenoid/pin arrangment maybe? Here's the thread where Dude mentioned getting knicked for it: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?248193-Licence-plate-on-windscreen-and-the-law&highlight=dude+flip+plate

None at all, I had a plastic plate made up when I got it and stuck it to the bottom half of the bumper facing up but that looked like I was trying to make it look dodge, police walked over whilst I was sat in it and didnt look to happy. Thankfully I was able to produce the metal brackets that I had made to attempt to make a holder and they were happy.

No trouble at all since I got the stick on one.