The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving to Work

Manic

Right, I live about 8 miles from where I work and about 50% of the journey is in a national speed limit and I generally tank it to work overtaking everything(where sensible off course:p ).

Is it only me, which obviously contributes to my poor fuel consumption or does everybody step on the loud pedal?

Having said that you dont get the thrashy feel you used to when owning slower cars so it doesn't FEEL like your tankin it!

Matt

Originally posted by Manic

Right, I live about 8 miles from where I work and about 50% of the journey is in a national speed limit and I generally tank it to work overtaking everything(where sensible off course:p ).

Is it only me, which obviously contributes to my poor fuel consumption or does everybody step on the loud pedal?

Having said that you dont get the thrashy feel you used to when owning slower cars so it doesn't FEEL like your tankin it!

Matt

I live about 5 miles from work and it's all national limit as well, I do EXACTLY the same thing.

and yes my consumption is equally poo!

Guest The Flash

I have a 13(ish) mile trip between Hemel Hempstead and Leighton Buzzard - it is possibly the perfect work journey.

A cool mix of long bends (with great visibility accross the apex) and straights. There are only a few acceptable (!!!) overtaking points, and I figure anyone following me and looking through the spoiler (probably thinking "boy racer w**ker"!) would be dissapointed if I didnt!!!:D

As a result - the loud pedal stays as far away from me as possible, and the Optimax seems to drop out with scant regard for my wallet. Have been trying to sell the car for a few months now - but have enjoyed immensely the summer blasts:cool:

Hopefully a Clio 172 will provide the same fun through the twisty's, but it will be a sad day when the Sup goes:)

Originally posted by Grazer

To me those white signs with a black stripe mean "go as fast as you possibly can"

I try to resist the temptation to overtake everything, but fail 99% of the time :p

My work is about 5 miles away and I get through £50 - £60 optimax a week :eek:

1.They do, dont they? :innocent:

2.Thats I bought my Supra for :thumbs:

3. Yep 173 miles a tank is norm :blink:

Matt

Originally posted by The Flash

I have a 13(ish) mile trip between Hemel Hempstead and Leighton Buzzard - it is possibly the perfect work journey.

You lucky git thats a great road to drive down, love driving down it when i take my car to JPS, Lots of sweaping curves with twisty almost straight sections :cool:

got a 6 mile trip to work either via a bypass (how fast can i go) or through Berkhamsted, fing speed humps. Go through Berkhamsted during the school holidays as it quicker and cheaper but now the kids are back i'm back to terrorising the reps on the bypass. I must drive with a lighter right foot as i manage a tank a fortnight if i'm just going to and from the office

he he. my loud pedal is quite literally just that :D The super drager on an N/A is well loud, you can hear the car coming from 2 streets away :D I don't drive it to work The Real Brain does but you can hear her gunning it up the hill towards our road at approx 18:15-25 everyday like clockwork. She has a 5-6 mile journey in and has traffic light shenanigans most days lol. Wait til she gets that noz bottle filled she will be a menace:(

Myself i gun it all the time purely for that awesome loud noise. At 32 I still haven't grown out of loving that w'aaaaaaaammmmmm, W,aaaaaaammmmmmm wam wam wam wam wam w,aaaaaaaaaammmm w'ammmmmmmmmm sound lol.

Originally posted by Manic

Does the car warm up enough in that short distance to enable you to tank it??:confused:

I always drive a few miles or so to let her warm up before going for it all guns blazing...:devil:

My god, your engine is only just getting up to the normal operating temperature and your journey is over! Lots of short journeys is always going to mean crap MPG.

Like Matt, I always give my engine about 4-5 miles under 3k rpm to let it warm up.

If I were driving the Supra that short a distance to work, I'd buy a run-a-round instead. You'd save hundreds of ££ a year in fuel alone!!! :blink:

Originally posted by Matt B

Does the car warm up enough in that short distance to enable you to tank it??:confused:

I always drive a few miles or so to let her warm up before going for it all guns blazing...:devil:

Well maybe I shouldn't, but i've always used the temp gauge as a guide:conf: , if it says temp is halfway(which it does after about 1 mile) then I give it another 2 miles of 30 limit driving then I hit the National Speed limit (120mph isn't it;) ) and off i go.

Guest The Flash
Anyone else havign problems heading directly home, i find myself going on a nice long loop on dual carriageways lol
Phew!! I am so glad it is not just me.

I seem to find more loops than a ride at Alton Towers before I get home:D

Also, the 200mtr trip to put the car in the garage normally results in a good few miles searching out the Nova boys in town (B4 I get canned - as I have said before - it IS big and it IS clever)

My view - what is the point of having over 300 break - if you're not gonna let anyone else know about it???

:cool:

I do a 70 mile round trip to work which is a complete hoot in the supra, and pretty dull in the diesel shitter. I can get two weeks commuting out of a full tank in the mondeo though, and two days out of a full tank in the supra :( The open wastegate sounds sooooo good I just can't keep my foot off the floor :D

Originally posted by The Flash

Phew!! I am so glad it is not just me.

I seem to find more loops than a ride at Alton Towers before I get home:D

I have to admit i was worried too, i go to a dual carriageway where it always jammed and go in slower lane so i get to see all fit birds go by looking, and in this weather it is perfect with sunglasses on...they were designed for one reason lol :D

Guest The Flash
My boss went ape when he saw the Supra so broke my contract and got me a 1.5td Renault Kangoo van to drive about Driving to work is so bloody boring now!!!
That HAS to contravene some EU human rights directive of some sort!!!!!;)

Dangerous brain, I have a Superdragger on a NA too and I agree its very loud! I'd love to hear what it sounds like as the car passes.

I drive pretty steady most of the time though but like to open it up every now and then.:innocent: I thought my fuel consumption was pretty bad especially after getting the Superdragger but 173 miles to a tank:eek: Manic you must really live up to your BBS name on the roads. I get that from £25 most of the time.

As Barry said its short journeys every day that decreases mpg. Its always B roads or town driving.

As for getting a runabout for work, I havent got many long sweeping journeys like some lucky buggers here on the forum so I aim to get the most out of my Soop, albeit at a cost.

Matt

Originally posted by Lazarus

Got to be mindful on the 36 though, been a number of deaths down there recently.:(

But you're Lazarus, right?:cool: So no worries:D

my MPG is shockin! mainly a steady drive to work (traffic, police, birds to eye up, car not warmed up enough to plonk it), now and then do put my foot down for a couple of miles. filled up before driving from preston to middlesbrough down the a59 (was a good drive), had about a quarter of a tank left yesterday and had done 319 miles since filling up......thought that was bloody excellent myself, shame its been the only time with decent MPG! otherwise i get about 150 out of a tank!