The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Throttle body cleaning

Si_s Supe

Ive cleaned throttle bodies on several of my previous cars before with carb cleaner (engine running, intake pipe off and spray short bursts of cleaner into the TB) It's always seemed to have a fairly positive effect on performance and response, though who knows if it's psychological or not.

Anyway, I want to do the Supra but just wanted to confirm that carb cleaner won't cause any harm to the ETCS in the TB?

• 5 months later...

The stuff that builds up in the throttle body is like marmite. My Supra is now having trouble starting if left for a week or more. I have to give a bit of throttle while cranking otherwise it makes a right fuss. Sound likely to be a dirty throttle body causing this? Is taking the inlet hose and spraying some carb cleaner with the engine running the best way to clean them?

The stuff that builds up in the throttle body is like marmite. My Supra is now having trouble starting if left for a week or more. I have to give a bit of throttle while cranking otherwise it makes a right fuss. Sound likely to be a dirty throttle body causing this? Is taking the inlet hose and spraying some carb cleaner with the engine running the best way to clean them?

Taking it off would be the best way to clean it but carb cleaner is the easiest way.

i took my throttle body off to clean mine.

its only 2 bolts, and 2 nuts.

(and think there are 1or2 water pipes going to it to)

didnt like the idea of all that gunk going into the intake manifold

Yeah I was thinking that too. Hopefully it unbolts ok, definately the best way to clean it. Not had much luck with screws and bolts on this car so far. Actually it has problems starting from just 1 overnight rest. Went to a garage today asking about it. Could be an air leak in the system, possibly compression problems in the cylinders.