The mkiv Supra Owners Club

De cluttering the engine bay, relocating and wire tucking

ripped_fear

As everyone seems to be tidying up there engine bays it has got me wanting to declutter mine,

I am currently in the process of painting and polishing many parts, but I'm wanting to move the loom into the wing so my first question is this difficult? and is there a place where it simply unplugs for it can fed into the wing and re plugged back in?

also circled is the igniter, is there a simple and discreet place to move it to?

finally is there anything else that can be moved out of sight but not the fuse box, battery or washer bottle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142228&stc=1&d=1322384345

any help would be much appreciated thanks

jake

DSCF4185.jpg

Everything is relative unfortunately. What is easy to one person is very difficult to another.

It isn't as simple as just unplugging and plugging back in, no. You can't really move certain parts without extending other parts. For example, if you relocate the fuse box underneath the wing you need to take the 2 plugs that are attached to it. IIRC the main loom plugs into those plugs so the loom would need extending to reach.

This is the same for most of the wires in the engine bay. The turbo side is a little easier as I don't think I extended anything to hide the small relay box and have the alternator feed going under the wing.

The ignitor box will need wire extensions I would imagine, I haven't actually looked at it yet though.

Everything is relative unfortunately. What is easy to one person is very difficult to another.

It isn't as simple as just unplugging and plugging back in, no. You can't really move certain parts without extending other parts. For example, if you relocate the fuse box underneath the wing you need to take the 2 plugs that are attached to it. IIRC the main loom plugs into those plugs so the loom would need extending to reach.

This is the same for most of the wires in the engine bay. The turbo side is a little easier as I don't think I extended anything to hide the small relay box and have the alternator feed going under the wing.

The ignitor box will need wire extensions I would imagine, I haven't actually looked at it yet though.

I didnt really want to do the fuse box as that seems alot of work, thanks for the info about extending the loom as that is exactly what i do not want to do. i would be to worried about mucking somthing up.

Brave man. I would definitely go to Hodge for mine to be done. I'd be scared of wiring it back up wrong and causing unwanted damage/stress!!!

if hodge was closer i would mate believe me but not sure I can get much further away within the country lol, plus i love doing job myself it is very satisfying to stand back and say I did that. If i can give it ago I will.

if hodge was closer i would mate believe me but not sure I can get much further away within the country lol, plus i love doing job myself it is very satisfying to stand back and say I did that. If i can give it ago I will.

If you can solder and you are patient/methodical then it's a doddle. It's daunting to look at but you just need to take a logical approach to it all.

I think my fuse box under the headlight mod was the first to be done in the UK so its been like it a while, imo its not a worth while mod, having the fuse box in the bay dont detract from the beauty of the bay and recently my relays have been failing, i had to change them all and it was not cheap, its not something id ever do again.

I think my fuse box under the headlight mod was the first to be done in the UK so its been like it a while, imo its not a worth while mod, having the fuse box in the bay dont detract from the beauty of the bay and recently my relays have been failing, i had to change them all and it was not cheap, its not something id ever do again.

Never knew yours was the first, I suppose things like that get over looked when your producing over 1000bhp :p I have to say I do like the look of it hidden but like you say its doesn't detract to much, IMO its the small fiddly little things and wires everywhere that spoil it. The fuse box is neat enough for me so im happy to leave it be.

• 7 months later...
Mine had a turbo but toyota decided to relocate it :D lol

How did you get on with this and did you move everything you wanted to?

Im stripping the engine out of mine soon and want to get rid of so much stuff that I dont even know what it is! If I post a picture can someone tell me what I can and cant remove?

Hi mate mine was also NA.

The drivers side:

Take out arch liner and you will see a yellow grommet where the wires go in and there is 3 plugs to undo in the fuse box just behind the drivers kick panel, undo them and everything else that is attached to the harness.

Pull the harness into the engine bay and route out behind wing (take all hard plastic covers off).

I wrapped mine in loom tape then I had to extend the 2wires on the plug that connects to the brake fluid level on the master cylinder and the 2 relays on the harness are also just left on the loom and tucked behind wing.

Then plug them 3 connectors back in and fit grommet.

Just take your time and you will be fine.

Then for the coil, there is already some pre-tapped holes on the side wall that your existing bolts will fit so just fit the coil down there, and it's the same for the ignighter on the passenger side.

Hope this helps :)

:D

Thanks Fosta any extra info is gold :D

So hodge, I have a large cluster of junk in the passenger side top of the engine bay looks like brake lines, is this the abs? If so many people dont have this so is this even safe to remove or just for show purposes?

I can do pretty much all the work myself but what would you reccomend moving to still look de cluttered but be safe?

Thanks Fosta any extra info is gold :D

So hodge, I have a large cluster of junk in the passenger side top of the engine bay looks like brake lines, is this the abs? If so many people dont have this so is this even safe to remove or just for show purposes?

I can do pretty much all the work myself but what would you reccomend moving to still look de cluttered but be safe?

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g351/kaan2lee/Runnymede-20120603-00266.jpg

Hi mate,

I removed my abs altogether, i bought a skypickavant brake line flairing tool kit cost around £180 (or you can get braided lines made up).

I then bought a non abs master cylinder and ran the 2 front brake lines directly to the new master cylinder and then ran the rear line to the fitting just under your abs unit and split the brake line into 2 lines.

If you search : my attempt at a wire tuck : you will find it :)

Hi mate,

I removed my abs altogether, i bought a skypickavant brake line flairing tool kit cost around £180 (or you can get braided lines made up).

I then bought a non abs master cylinder and ran the 2 front brake lines directly to the new master cylinder and then ran the rear line to the fitting just under your abs unit and split the brake line into 2 lines.

If you search : my attempt at a wire tuck : you will find it :)

Oh yeah here -

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?270275-My-attempt-at-a-wire-tuck!*-Started-fitting-FFIM*&highlight=attempt+wire+tuck

Mine still looks different from yours it seems like ive got 2 lots of brake lines and servos :S