The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crank pully cracked????

l.chris97

Just completed my cambelt change today,and as per norm the crank pully bolt was as tight as f*ck,pulled the bottom pulley and timing sprocket ( replaced crank oil seal )

While building up after the replacement i inspected the crank pulley and found a hairline crack from the edge of the woodruff key cut out and its spanning out throught the metal body of the pulley

has any1 had this problem before or have i got another problem that has caused the pulley to split, really dont want to buy a new pulley to have it split also...

Any help or ideas guys????

has any1 had this problem before or have i got another problem that has caused the pulley to split, really dont want to buy a new pulley to have it split also...

Agree with Rob someone has probably attacked it with a hammer, they don't usually crack from just wear and tear, although they can separate over time. A new OEM Toyota pulley should last many many years, part number below.

13407-46020 Toyota Harmonic Balancer

The cars a 94 rz...the pully doesnt look as if had been hammered but it def had been of before as the bottom timing cover was missing when i got the car...

the other thing i noticed was the timing wheel was really tight to get back on the crank and i had to use a socket and hammer it tap it back on and used the bottom bolt to pully the crank pulley on.......

I starting to think there is something up with the end of the crankshaft guys esp were the crack in the pully is

I used the tool to start the wheel on the shaft scott then just finished it by tappin it on with a hammer no hard or heavy shots were needed its was just to put it home on the shaft...only reason was the tool i made up wouldnt push it fully home as it hadn't got the reach needed.