The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beware of Fake Aerocatches....Please check yours before it's to late

DodgyRog

I bought some Aerocatches off EBay about 6 months ago and I have just got round to getting ShellShocked to fit them, but they are fake ones

They have started to rust after a couple of weeks and the pins in the mechanisms keep sliding out and causing them not to close properly

The company I got them off of have been very apologetic and are replacing them immediately

Apparently they have spoken to Aerocatch and there have been a few Authorised dealers reporting the same problem and they think someone is ordering Aerocatches and then sending them back for exchange to locking or refund etc, but the ones they return are not the real ones but fake. Again apparently Aerocatch are asking all main dealers to be aware and to check all returns and not just put them back into stock for resale

So be warned, if your buying Aerocatches, even from an Authorised Dealer, make sure your getting the real thing

I am putting up some pics to give you the idea, but the plastic feels cheap and the mechanism feels slack and just wrong

I will post up some pics of the real thing when they arrive to compare

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

not good mate, not good at all there really is some con merchants on ebay,

To be honest they are a Authorised Dealer and sell on Ebay as well as there own website

I specifically have not named them, as I am not sure they sold them to me knowing they were fakes and even though I bought them well over 6 months ago, they are changing them without even waiting for me to return the fake ones back, as that would mean my car being off the road

Good shout there, I know a lot of people like to get them so that's good info that they will replace them :thumbs:

The company that sold them to me are replacing them Scott, not Aerocatch themselves, although they have apparently asked for them to be sent to them for comparison to other fakes, once the company receives them off me

I actually tried to buy direct from Aerocatch, as they are made in Totnes, Devon, just down the road from me, but they don't sell direct to the public anymore, which is a pain because I wouldn't of ended up with fakes if they did

To be honest they are a recognised Dealer and sell on Ebay as well as there own website

I specifically have not named them, as I am not sure they sold them to me knowing they were fakes and even though I bought them well over 6 months ago, they are changing them without even waiting for me to return the fake ones back, as that would mean my car being off the road

Good to see the company is replacing them and respect to them for doing so.

I wasn't implying that the company was the ones doing the scamming but someone is to blame and they clearly have no consideration to both the company and the costumer and more to the point the customers safety.

Good to see the company is replacing them and respect to them for doing so.

I wasn't implying that the company was the ones doing the scamming but someone is to blame and they clearly have no consideration to both the company and the costumer and more to the point the customers safety.

Funny enough when I was speaking to said company, he was saying much the same thing, as they supply them to some of the race and drift teams, as well as there own cars, He is intending to send out Emails to get them all to check theirs, as he is worried about any Aerocatch failures at high speeds

Funny enough when I was speaking to said company, he was saying much the same thing, as they supply them to some of the race and drift teams, as well as there own cars, He is intending to send out Emails to get them all to check theirs, as he is worried about any Aerocatch failures at high speeds

In that case they sound like a very considerate company, and my personal opinion would be to name them (as long as they don't mind) they sound like the sort of company myself and manyothers would be very happy to hand my money over too.

In that case they sound like a very considerate company, and my personal opinion would be to name them (as long as they don't mind) they sound like the sort of company myself and manyothers would be very happy to hand my money over too.

I will name them, but only when I have real Aerocatches in my hand, otherwise I will name them for supplying fakes

Received my replacement Aerocatches today and the diffence is night and day, I will get some pics up later as a comparison to the crap fakes above

The company in question was JPRacing and Leon is the owner and guy I have been dealing with, I have checked and he is happy to be mentioned in this thread

Leon still is really disappointed this has happened and very apollogetic, he also upgraded my Aerocatches to locking one's for free for the trouble, which I thank him for and I have to sy there customer service has been excellent considering I actually purchased these back in April, although only just had them fitted

So JPRacing get a big :thumbs: from me

Pic's of the real thing as promised

Note the packaging is different, although I can't show pics of the fake packaging and the real set has nylon locking nuts and the mechanism is much more solid feeling and almost stiff

The plastic is much better quality in every way and they feel heavier

Also, although I can't do a comparison, note the type of key and the keyhole in the lock is only about 3/4 of the size of the round (silver) bit