The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tom's ecu on a na

Graham1984

I was looking at some old threads to pass the time and I saw nic posted about a Toms pre mapped ECU for the na supra that can apparently gain about 10-15% hp gain which was priced at just under 1k albeit back in 2004.

I wondered if anyone ever got round to using one of these as I see a few NA's running mines ecu ect and had never heard of them at all.

Please none of the don't bother get a TT stuff was just out of my own curiosity and wanted anyone's feedback on this product.

I was looking at some old threads to pass the time and I saw nic posted about a Toms pre mapped ECU for the na supra that can apparently gain about 10-15% hp gain which was priced at just under 1k albeit back in 2004.

I wondered if anyone ever got round to using one of these as I see a few NA's running mines ecu ect and had never heard of them at all.

Please none of the don't bother get a TT stuff was just out of my own curiosity and wanted anyone's feedback on this product.

sounds quite interesting i'd like to hear a bit more about this myself

This was the link nic had but my translating skills are not that good http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/onlineshop.html

He said in his previous post he can put you in touch with the manager but seeing as it was 2004 when he mentioned it I am sure things are a tad different now though. I agree with you though as it seams good and interesting product for the NA.

Very expensive for only moderate gains, at today's exchange rate they work out at over £1400 in Japan to buy new. There are a few companies that do modified stock ECUs; TOMS, Mines, Blitz, etc. if you were to find one second hand at a good price it may be worth it, but for that sort of money you'd be better off fitting a standalone ECU and getting it mapped in the UK, even then it's a lot of money to spend for only moderate gains in performance.

I am guessing this is more down to our economy being crap now compared to your post 7-8 years ago. Mind you saying the gains are moderate surely the ultimate e-manage or mines don't wield much better results for their cost in comparison (excuse me if I am wrong though)

In 2009 the £/Yen rate went to $%£ and made a big difference to prices.

You'll get similar moderate gains from whichever standalone or piggyback ECU you use.

I frankly don't believe you can get +20% gains on a stock N/A with a re map. To improve one you either make it pump more efficiently with manifold changes, cam changes, etcetera, or make it pump faster (more revs and cam changes) or make the pump bigger (capacity increases).
i thought it was a bit of an unrealistic figure to get from a remap. might just invest in making changes under the bonnet to squeeze some more power out of it.

or just go NA-T....:flame:

Same as that mate I am praying it should be near as it has been in the pipeline for ages now. I wrote on the thread today to see if there is any more info even a rough cost idea would be good. Was tempted to get the manifold from mvp but I am going try and hold out for pauls.
think it will be very price dependant for me

I frankly don't believe you can get +20% gains on a stock N/A with a re map. To improve one you either make it pump more efficiently with manifold changes, cam changes, etcetera, or make it pump faster (more revs and cam changes) or make the pump bigger (capacity increases).

I think they claim 10-15%, still optimistic from just an ECU change, 10% may achievable if combined with decats and exhaust.

Anyone know how conservative the fueling and timing are on a stock 2JZ-GE?

As I've said if your feeling flush then the EMU will be the best way to go, with Ryan mapping it I am sure their will be gains although very small.

The problem with the preset aftermarket ecus is you need to know exactly what mods they were mapped for, if its made for your car and you change even 1 thing your expensive pre mapped ecu then becomes useless.

Edited by Neil-NA
phone fail (see edit history)

Yeah I think you are right Neil I was just very bored yesterday and to pass the time was reading all sorts and the Tom's tec and Mines vx-rom were all bits I had never heard of before. I was looking at the e-manage ultimate at whifbitzs for £550 ish minus harness but would rather get the manifold and rest of exhaust finished first, new o2's, service ect but find it a way of passing a few hours while dreaming of small gains.

On the plus side I doubt any of the Ecu upgrades will ever happen due to poss going Na-t in the future, but then again when I sort out the other bits I may decide adding the emu would cap it off and be a good finish point for the NA seeing as I would of changed the whole exhaust manifold ect and not be bothered about going NA-T and having to swap everything again.