The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift ABS

Josh42

The only difference I know about the facelift ABS is they switched from 3 position solenoids to a more compact 2 position solenoid setup. The brake master cylinder on facelift models is also slightly larger.

There the only things different on the braking system on a facelift.

I have the pump there so I assume it's working.

Find an open space you can test it (quiet car park is probably best), ideally when it's wet, press hard on the brakes and you should feel and hear the ABS grabbing and releasing the brakes, if the brakes lock up and you just slide then get it checked out.

It's going to be expensive even if you can DIY..........hubs, sensors, wiring, abs unit, addition brake pipes......you need everything from one being broken really + time and patience.......it's not a common thing that is taken on.

Car looks very clean, things you can do is fit good wet weather grip tyres and read/learn about cadence braking! other than that it unfortunately comes down to selling and buying another.

Get better tyres and learn how to drive properly would be more prudent than ABS.

There is no way you should be locking up the tyres on a school road regardless of who pulls out in front of you. At 20mph my Supra will stop on it's nose with absolutely no drama whatsoever.

It's a 50 road?

But thanks very much for your advice scooter.

Any tyres in particular you can recommend?

It's a 50 and your slamming on the brakes? I'm not following this, can you not see them pulling out in front of you? Or about to pull out in front of you? Is it a single lane carriageway?

If it's a bad junction then you are now aware of it, alter your speed and driving perception to suit the road.

Not Being funny here, but I'm not here for driving advice, I'm here for technical advice.

It's a single carriage way,

Mothers park along one side of it and block one side off, there is a bend about 300 meters down the road, when there was a gap I went,

Just as everyone else had in front of me, I didn't boot it, just before the end of the line of parked cars( which was about. 100m if not more) some stupid bint decided to pull out without looking and attempt a turn in the road. People coming the other way had to hit the rakes too.

Not that I should have to explain myself to you. If all your going to is offer insults and get on the high horse, I'd appreciate you not commenting. This is a thread on whether facelift ABS is a better option for me not whether I can drive aswell as you obviously...

Not Being funny here, but I'm not here for driving advice, I'm here for technical advice.

It's a single carriage way,

Mothers park along one side of it and block one side off, there is a bend about 300 meters down the road, when there was a gap I went,

Just as everyone else had in front of me, I didn't boot it, just before the end of the line of parked cars( which was about. 100m if not more) some stupid bint decided to pull out without looking and attempt a turn in the road. People coming the other way had to hit the rakes too.

Not that I should have to explain myself to you. If all your going to is offer insults and get on the high horse, I'd appreciate you not commenting. This is a thread on whether facelift ABS is a better option for me not whether I can drive aswell as you obviously...

Driving a reasonably powerful car brings with it a certain responsibility though. It sounds like you don't know how to considerately drive your car properly so I'm trying to give advice on how better to handle your car. ABS won't save you by any stretch of the imagination, in fact in a situation like that it would probably plough you straight into said bint if you were going fast enough.

If it's just that particular stretch of road that's a worry to you then I would suggest slowing down on it regardless of what other cars are doing on the road.

It is far more likely that the tyres or the tracking of the wheels is at fault than any braking aid. If the road is as you describe and you aren't booting it then I imagine that you aren't anywhere near the 50mph speed limit so I'm guessing speed isn't an issue either. It can only really come down to 2 things, driver error or equipment error.

If everyone else managed to stop OK then perhaps they were doing something different to yourself in that given scenario?

I don't know, I'm only trying to point out to you that ABS won't stop the car any faster than non-ABS if you know how to use it properly. In fact ABS will actually hamper your braking ability. ABS is only really needed for lead footed, on/off switch drivers with no grasp or feel of the road. I have ABS and the only time it kicks in with me is in the snow, and it's a PITA then too.

I was driving perfectly consideratly and conservatively. I was in no rush and was on my way to work.

Cars coming the other way who slammed the anchors on we're more modern fitted with ABS and they stopped but started screaming. I was pissed off but didn't say a word.

In the dry I dare say I would have had no issue, but as it was wet it just meant me sliding straight.

I'm not saying I am not at fault here, I need to learn to cadence brake, however, I would also like ABS.

The cars I have had before now have all had it fitted . It is what I am used to.

I was driving perfectly consideratly and conservatively. I was in no rush and was on my way to work.

Cars coming the other way who slammed the anchors on we're more modern fitted with ABS and they stopped but started screaming. I was pissed off but didn't say a word.

In the dry I dare say I would have had no issue, but as it was wet it just meant me sliding straight.

I'm not saying I am not at fault here, I need to learn to cadence brake, however, I would also like ABS.

The cars I have had before now have all had it fitted . It is what I am used to.

That's fair enough then. However, what tyres do you have? When was the last time you had the tracking done?

You honestly wouldn't believe the difference that decent rubber can make to traction. The tracking being out a fair bit will have a massive impact also.

With decent grip it takes a LOT to break traction on the Supra.