The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much is my JSpec worth?

osso

Hey all! Yep another one!

I have been mulling over the idea of selling my supra soon and maybe replacing it with an RX7 or even get myself a Nissan 350z instead. But i've no idea how much my car might be worth on the market.

1997 Quicksilver Supra RZ-S VVTI 6 Speed Manual with low miles, imported via Miguel from Newera Imports

6 or 7 months Tax and 12mth MOT (Passed last week)

Mods: Defi BF Boost + EGT Gauges on A-Pillar, Braded brake lines, Walbro Pump + FSE, Denso Iridium IK22's, Full 2 Piece 3" Decat, RSR Exhaust, HKS SSQV Bov.

I'll try and get some pictures this weekend :thumbs:

Cheers

I used to own an MR2 GT Turbo, they are quick snappy and agile, you could drive it about like a hooligan, you could throw it into the corners snap the back end out, and snap it back, at lowend speeds, compared to the supra its just bloody big and heavy

The supra is just stopping me from doing things, Im worried about parking it in my area, im worried about parking it at work, there are times i dont wanna visit my mates and leave my car parked in a dodgy area! im worried about someone scraping the side or dinting the doors at a supermarket carpark! the list goes on!

Having said that, i'd probably feel the same way and stressed out if i had an 350z!

All sounds so familiar :(

Have you tried standing back and looking at your car for a moment or taking it out for an hour of fun in the country? So far these two things are keeping me clutching the keys but the desire to sell is always there.... funny how us ex MR2 folks don't seem happy with them isn't it.

Thats the problem tho, i just look at the car think how lucky i am to have such an immaculate car inside and out, it even smells new! but i have to take it out on the country roads and put my foot down to put a huge grin back on my face! problem is i dont see many country roads on the way to work during the week! i only live 5 minutes away from work, through 30 mph speed zones

Maybe im just missing that instant kick from the MR2 Turbo, perhaps, maybe i need the TTC mod or even go single? but i dont really fancy the idea of spending over 6 grand on going single to find out.

I just got a feeling that the RX7 is going to be the best car for me.

everything ive heard about the RX7 is that it dosent make a good dayly driver at all, especially not for short to work and back trips.

Nice car, as is the 350z but not a patch on the supe IMHO.

If you want ~MR2 fun, why not buy one on the side, theyre just about giving them away nowerdays...

.... funny how us ex MR2 folks don't seem happy with them isn't it. [/b]

Hmmm, was thinking of selling mine once I pick up my Supra on Saturday - but maybe not ?

An MR2 turbo as a second car is cheap to run, so maybe I'll keep it - they are great fun to drive, fappin' quick too !

To keep mine will cost :

Insurance £370 (classic policy, mods declared, limited mileage but requires NO no claims bonus)

Tax £165

MOT £40 (assuming no work needed, and TBH - it's a Toyota, nothing breaks in 3,000 miles use !!!)

So, £575 a year to keep - £11 a week :eek:, and they can be bought ridiculously cheaply too.

Think I'll be keeping mine ;) (Just don't tell the missus !!!) Sorry to go a little off topic, but Albundy68's idea of having one 'on the side' could be a good idea, certainly worth looking at mate.

Matt

If your circumstances allow it you have the ideal combination of cars there Matt, something I wish I could do but there is a Punto parked outside instead :)

I suspect you'll be OK though, coming from the Jag to the Supra will offer you all the comfort and cruising ability but then add heaps more on top, with the MR2 for those blasts out you have it all.

You lucky bugger :)

I wanted to buy an RX7 before I bought my J-spec Supra Twin Turbo, they are superb cars, very very fast with that silky smooth rotary twin turbo engine, and handle just like a bigger, faster MX5, there great.

But the only (and it is the Only reason) reason I didn't buy one is they have big reliabilty problems, the rotor tips suffer not only from wear but also metal fatigue, which could mean you could park it up one night with every thing working fine and the next morning it simply won't start because its got no compression. The only test you can give the engine before you buy is a compresion test, but that will only tell you if the tips are worn, they could still break on the way home, leaving you with a approx £2000 rebuild cost.

Another thing that could be a problem in your case (only doing 5 miles to work) is that the engine is built in 5 sections, 2 rotor casings, 2 end plates and 1 centre plate, meaning it has the equivalent of 4 head gaskets, so you have to make sure it is fully warmed up before you can give it any welly or you will blow one of them, again leaving you with a £2000 rebuild cost.

I think these reasons that after 1.5 years of looking I still didn't buy one, because the problems are always in the back of your mind, so I kept finding things wrong with them to stop me from buying them, and why it only took me 2 weeks and 3 cars to find the right Supra.

If you decide to get a RX7 I wish you good luck, because as a driving experience I don't think you can beat them, they trully are great, Just be prepared to spend alot of money and go in with you eyes open after doing the research.

Ow, if all that seams expensive the incredible moving fuel gauge will give you a hole new perspective.

Originally posted by Garfy

I wanted to buy an RX7 before I bought my J-spec Supra Twin Turbo, they are superb cars, very very fast with that silky smooth rotary twin turbo engine, and handle just like a bigger, faster MX5, there great.

But the only (and it is the Only reason) reason I didn't buy one is they have big reliabilty problems, the rotor tips suffer not only from wear but also metal fatigue, which could mean you could park it up one night with every thing working fine and the next morning it simply won't start because its got no compression. The only test you can give the engine before you buy is a compresion test, but that will only tell you if the tips are worn, they could still break on the way home, leaving you with a approx £2000 rebuild cost.

Another thing that could be a problem in your case (only doing 5 miles to work) is that the engine is built in 5 sections, 2 rotor casings, 2 end plates and 1 centre plate, meaning it has the equivalent of 4 head gaskets, so you have to make sure it is fully warmed up before you can give it any welly or you will blow one of them, again leaving you with a £2000 rebuild cost.

I think these reasons that after 1.5 years of looking I still didn't buy one, because the problems are always in the back of your mind, so I kept finding things wrong with them to stop me from buying them, and why it only took me 2 weeks and 3 cars to find the right Supra.

If you decide to get a RX7 I wish you good luck, because as a driving experience I don't think you can beat them, they trully are great, Just be prepared to spend alot of money and go in with you eyes open after doing the research.

Ow, if all that seams expensive the incredible moving fuel gauge will give you a hole new perspective.

Rx-7's are not quite all doom and gloom, a second hand car is an unknown quantity. Most owners keep a rebuild fund ready for such an occurance

With a rebuild and warranty piece of mind Rx-7 motoring can be a happy experience, you might buy one and never have a problem with it. Most niggly problems are turbo related given the tangle of complicated hoses for the system.

ANd any car should be warmed up before you welly it :)

Daverex-

I fully agree with you, personally I love them, and i would still have a RX7 over a Supra, if I didn't have to use it every day, and if I could just get over that nagging feeling that it could go bang at any time.

Originally posted by osso

Hey all! Yep another one!

I have been mulling over the idea of selling my supra soon and maybe replacing it with an RX7 or even get myself a Nissan 350z instead. But i've no idea how much my car might be worth on the market.

1997 Quicksilver Supra RZ-S VVTI 6 Speed Manual with low miles, imported via Miguel from Newera Imports

6 or 7 months Tax and 12mth MOT (Passed last week)

Mods: Defi BF Boost + EGT Gauges on A-Pillar, Braded brake lines, Walbro Pump + FSE, Denso Iridium IK22's, Full 2 Piece 3" Decat, RSR Exhaust, HKS SSQV Bov.

I'll try and get some pictures this weekend :thumbs:

Cheers

Pics and miles please

:)