The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap Insurance

Steve W2

I have just had an email from EGG offering me motor insurance. Thought I'd put my details in to see what they had to offer.

B L I M E Y - Is all I can say!! They were cheaper than Tesco's for me on my import GZ TT and they had all the models listed a lot more accurately than most.

Definetly worth a go, I am 25 FNCB living in a decent area, 3 points nothing else. £490 Fully comp with £150 compulsory excess.

My Tesco quote last year was £620, didn't get one this year as I am have not been insured on the Supe since I renewed my policy a short time ago.:eek:

EDITED: To say I did have to have a CAT1 alarm, but I don't know of any Supra owners who haven't got that anyway:)

Got that too. Tried egg before and crap. This time better than direct line and tesco :eek:

Do they allow mods?

As also you get 0% on the insurance balance if paid off in the year, 50 quid cashback for paying by car, and discount for being a card holder!!! Looks like I could be using them in Oct depending on mod situation!

Originally posted by Bill Prawn

EGG WILL NOT INSURE IMPORTS

I took out insurance with them damn cheap, when policy came through it said nothing about car being an import.

Checked with them and they WILL NOT insure them, so I got a full refund.

But they list GZ & RZ Supra's, which are ONLY import models! :conf:

I tried to insure an RZ they were the cheapest by along way.

They don't know what they are doing.

That list is a generic car list from elsewhere, they may list them but won't insure them.

If someone gets insurance for an import let me know as I will have them over the coals as I was driving for 2 weeks uninsured!!!!!.:mad:

Originally posted by Steve W2

I got a quote for a Mazda RX-7 that specifcally said IMPORT on it from them a minute a go:conf:

Was that a web quote?

I had the same took it out but when it came through it was for a UK car.

Rang to query and the said, and I repeat 'we don't insure imports'.:mad:

This is taken from the EGG site.

All Drivers are at least 17 years of age, hold a valid driving licence and are permanently resident in the U.K.

The total number of fault accidents or claims, including theft claims for all drivers does not exceed 3 in the last 3 years.

The total number of convictions, fixed penalties or disqualifications for each driver does not exceed 2 in the last 5 years.

No driver has any illnesses or disabilities that affects their driving.

The vehicle is owned and registered by yourself, at your address and has not been modified or altered in any way (including wheels, suspension, bodywork and engine).

You can use the vehicle in connection with your business. If your spouse/partner is named to drive, they can also use the vehicle in connection with their business. Use in connection with the Motor Trade is excluded.

Your business or the business of your employer is not in anyway connected with any of the following: the entertainment and fashion industry, professional sports, foreign service or diplomatic personnel, scrap or salvage merchants, general dealers or market traders, mini-cab drivers or controllers.

The vehicle must be a U.K. model or built to U.K. specifications (unless the vehicle description selected specifically states 'Import').

The vehicle is owned and registered by yourself, at your address and has not been modified or altered in any way (including wheels, suspension, bodywork and engine). The vehicle must be a U.K. model or built to U.K. specifications (unless the vehicle description selected specifically states 'Import').

The last one is interesting as none of the Supra's listed say import.

I just got a quote and it was still cheap.

Originally posted by Scarface GTti

The cheapest quote i could find was £1230 with CIS. They were the cheapest by far. I resisted getting a quote from elephant.co.uk as i`ve heard that they`ll do anything to get out of paying out but my brother persuaded me to try them. Got a quote of £729 fully comp. elephant it is then.

Be very wary of a blindingly cheap quote from Elephant. It is probably for a Mk3.

Originally posted by Gordon F

Be very wary of a blindingly cheap quote from Elephant. It is probably for a Mk3.

elephant originally insured mine as a mk3. when i told them it was only an extra £24 to change it to a mk4. they waived the fee as i told them it was thier mistake

Well another weird one - put in the make, model, year and sure enough up pops R32 GTR and R33 GTR neither of which were ever a UK model. The R33 GTR was only a UK model from 1997 on.

I think you can get away with it on the UK spec type thing, as essentially they are very little different - would be nice to have an official line though. Also depends on their stand with mods.

It basically underwritten by the same company as Direct Line, Tesco and Privilege and they all insure imports so Egg should too......

If you tell them that its imported and your policy says the correct specification of car GZ TT for example. Thats their problem if at a later date it not right and you have an accident.

They are offering a selection of cars that were only available as imports.

We are not the insurance brokers, they are, we are all dumb and have chosen our cars from their list.

Providing your olicy shows the model spec you have, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Bill - have you considered its possible they fcuked your insurance up and told what waht they did, but were wrong?

Every indication suggests that they do insure imports and do provide good cheap quotes.

What model are you putting in there steve? Mine is coming up more expensive than NUD at £726 with full no claims no accidents, no claims ever, no points and 32 years old. I put in both GZ TT and SZ N/A both come up with the same amount as per all the other sites. You can't tell me that the difference between your postcode and mine is worth nearly £300 on a premium i would have to be living in beirut..

Originally posted by dangerous brain

You can't tell me that the difference between your postcode and mine is worth nearly £300 on a premium i would have to be living in beirut..

I know where u live...i wouldnt live there :D

plus steve lives in Granny ville in ferndown.

People move their to die quietly ....shame....but true none the less!