The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intake Painting Advice

Noz

Hi all, I know some of you guys have painted your intake manifold and other bits (ScottM need your adivce here to dude as you had yours done) and was wondering the best and easiest way to do this. Don't want sand in my engine and didn't think the wire brush method would do it justice (could be wrong).

Want to try and tidy up my engine and ideas would be appreciated on this. I dont trust sand blasting at work for free by the geeza that has a drink problem, so any cheap'ish ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks :)

I went with the sand blasting option, I did it myself though rather than trust the knuckle draggers in that dept.

Regardless of which route you go down you really need to take the manifold off. If you don't want to dip it or blast it then I would suggest...

Wire Brush - Loosen off any obvious crap using a wire brush

Gunk - Get a spray tin of this stuff and just go nuts all over the entire manifold, leave it for 10 mins or so to do it's stuff then take aforementioned wire brush and go nuts.

Bath - Dunk the entire manifold in a large container filled with soapy water (Fairy liquid works wonders). Take wire brush and go nuts.

Hose - Rinse the whole thing thoroughly with a hose, make sure all soapy water is removed and it's as spotless as you're going to get it.

At this point I'm not really sure what to recommend as I used direct to metal paint (stuff in the work). If you want to use just normal spraypaint then I would suggest a bit of alloy etch primer beforehand.

Personally I took mine into work, dipped it in a few tanks to clean it then blasted it spotless. I immediately took it to the spray booth and got it painted. Once it was dry I blew out any crap from the innards before re-assembling.

i dont have any to sell mate, i only have my intercooler piping which ive never considered doing before.

Just get parts dipped then powder coated,

give Ibrar a call :)

how much did he charge to get those done ooooOOOooo they look shiney. :)

I know Ibrar very well and i did all the prep on them so he did them at mates rates for me, its

best you call him and see what he can do for you.

I've done most of my bay but still have a few bits i need to do but just not got round to it

as soon as turbo arrives in post making the calls to book it in to get fitted, as soon as its running il ring him up and send stuff over. gloss finish on the intake would be nice. need to make an effort with my engine bay if ive got a conversion to show off!

you got any pics of shiney bits fitted?

i dont have any to sell mate, i only have my intercooler piping which ive never considered doing before.

Did you click on the link? I was suggesting that if you wanted to do the turbo side that you could buy mine, swap them over and then sell your own.

oh i see! how stupid of me. is running a single turbo going to have the same pipe in the required directions? plus i have an overhead intake, so the pipes need to travel back round the engine?

Ahh, no. I didn't realise you were N/A and going N/A-T. I had it in my head you were TT :D