The mkiv Supra Owners Club

KAD 6 Pot Brakes - Pad Chatter - HELP?

Guest ugp

My KAD brakes have always had this, I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. The pads have no shims or retaining pins and seem to just drop into place in the caliper. They move about 3-4mm back and forward in the carrier, and up and down about the same distance. Is this normal? The brakes are virtually brand new, as are the pads. I will upload a video and pictures shortly.

Ben

3 to 4 mm longitudinal play is a lot, are you sure they have the correct pads in them? If so, and it really bugs you you could have pads water jet cut from blanks to fit better, or run a bead of weld along one edge of the ends of the pads (trailing preferably), and have that edge milled straight and flat, to lengthen the existing pads. Don't put too much heat into the backing plates, use thermally absorbent putty on them if in doubt. Final idea, if the calipers have separate machined pad end abutments, have thicker ones made?

I'm not sure Chris, it's the pads they came with new when supplied by Whifbitz.

Here are some photos, uploading a video now which probably explains the problem much better. It sounds like the brakes are about to fall off when moving forward / backwards slowly. Also if you tap the brake pedal i can hear the pads moving about. They've been bled properly etc.

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

Not just me thinking the noise / movement is excessive then? On some of our race-bikes, the custom AP racing brakes have a similar problem with shiz fitting pads, they are nowhere near as noisy as these little buggers though.

Where could I find a better fitting set of pads Chris? Could you supply me with any?

Ben

They have to be water jet cut from blank sheets of material. Porterfield in the USA will do this to a template in a choice of materials. Make sure they are the right pads that you there, first. Let me ask my brake people how they would feel about doing a one off set of pads. Would be cheaper if several people wanted sets of these...

That's nowhere near as bad lol. Check out his vid. They move about 5mm in either direction :D

iv seen the vid dude, as per my previous post, im sure these are a known problem with this setup, im sure whiffin said this about the Ksport package. Might be wrong though