The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need Help on BHP Figures!!!

Reeves1

Right ive been left thinking,

A nice 15 year old supra, Started life with between 220BHP upto 300BHP depending on model (if internet sources are to be believe)....

Apparently it loses between 1 - 5% of the total power if its been regardly services. or 5-25% if it hasnt.

i know there are too many variable to include but at a rough estimate what would you say a fair quote would be?

just out of interest this is.

I will be dynoing my Supra before and after once it arrives and ill keep you update but till then!

It's been covered 100s of times bud.

N/As out of the box are good for 220hp. Given the age etc this generally drops to around 200-210 depending on condition. Adding a few breathing mods can often prop the power back up on the N/As so healthy, sensibly modded ones, will generally see a true 220-230hp. 230hp is the recognised max.

TTs out of the box are 320hp (326 is known for the UK variant). The Jspec power isn't really known as the gentlemans agreement meant that no figures over 280hp were ever published. However, if the torque is anything to go by.. and HP directly relates to torque, then the Jspecs make the same power as the UK specs. Unfortunately there are very few totally stock engine TTs. Very minor mods can make quite significant differences to the power the TT can make so it's rare to get a totally bone stock one. A healthy TT with BPU mods will hit around 400hp. The maximum seen from a TT with stock tubbys at SRR is 430hp so that is the most you will generally see. Anything from 380-430 is generally expected to be decent power from a TT.

Cheers for the info,

will be interested to see a before and after of a good service will do for the engine, then to add my little goodies haha!

There must be a lot of Supras on the roads 10-17 years on still with the factory fitted oxygen sensors, radiator, intercoolers, distributor cap, rotor arm, plug leads, suspension, etc.

If I bought another Supra, the first thing I'd do would be to give the car a thorough service, fit new oxygen sensor(s), replace any worn parts and get the car running to it's full potential. This will often make a bigger difference performance wise - particularly on the 2JZ-GE - than spending money on certain 'tuning' parts.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)