The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rant- Paint bubbling

welshbuddy

heres my rant of the day!!

just been outside to do little jobs on the car, just as im locking it i have a little browse around the bodywork ( its not immaculate ) :(, . On the rear quarter panel its got 100's of bubbles underneath the paintwork! :S it was not there last sunday morning i checked over, so i took it morrisons sunday afternoon i powerwashed it and brushed it down with the soap option! loads of soap!

i think its from that, theres nothing else that could of done it !! i read something on here the other day about the evil powerwashers from petrol stations!!

ill get a photo up soon , but i dont think there is anyway of getting rid of them apart from a sand down and respray! :(

well when you run your hand across the paintwork, they probably raise to

so its quite raised, ill take it to my mate over the week ask him as hes a sprayer, been set on spraying the car artic white, but well have to see :p costly :) ha

This could be your chance to get it all resprayed then, it'll be worth it if your going white :D

heres my rant of the day!!

just been outside to do little jobs on the car, just as im locking it i have a little browse around the bodywork ( its not immaculate ) :(, . On the rear quarter panel its got 100's of bubbles underneath the paintwork! :S it was not there last sunday morning i checked over, so i took it morrisons sunday afternoon i powerwashed it and brushed it down with the soap option! loads of soap!

i think its from that, theres nothing else that could of done it !! i read something on here the other day about the evil powerwashers from petrol stations!!

ill get a photo up soon , but i dont think there is anyway of getting rid of them apart from a sand down and respray! :(

this also seemed to happen to me a few weeks back also morrisons! my guss is the TFR is too strong as it seemed to bleach my paint ever so slightly and i also have small bubbles i hadnt seen before. but im unsure if mine has ever been repainted. but the whiteish bleach marks are defo off there wash station! and i had to fill in a claims form last week!

just go back or ring head office mate and explaine! they where really nice with me! and said they would help me as much as they can! as its going through there insurance company. ask to speek to the station manager :-)

yeh morrisons here aswell, the soap was that strong you could smell it in the car even when i got home! pink soap it was, don't know if your was the same? most likely.

I can't remember mate? It's not somthing I take notice in if I'm honest I just washed mine and it ran out on minutes when I was on the soap so I had to run back in and wait in the que while the soap (TFR) dryed and bleached my paint plus leaving tinny bubbles all over the car! I started on the drivers side and worked my way over to the passenger side and the thing is that's it's worse on the drivers side due to being left on longer that side so I'm 99.9% sure that it was the cause of the bleaching to my paint!

• 1 year later...

Just to bump this. I put the battery back in the car and it started first time earlier. Upon looking, there are hundreds of bubbles down the drivers side, on the bootlid and on the bonnet. The car has sat with snow on it for a week and hasn't been driven for a couple of weeks. Could the fact it's been sat for so long in the cold and the snow sitting on it have caused this?

This side of the car will have been resprayed previously, so maybe there was moisture trapped under there when it was done.

I can't afford a respray, so would it maybe be best to take it to a bodyshop and see what they say?

Once I've saved up, I may get it resprayed at some point, but would like to stop the bubbling getting any worse for now.

Just to bump this. I put the battery back in the car and it started first time earlier. Upon looking, there are hundreds of bubbles down the drivers side, on the bootlid and on the bonnet. The car has sat with snow on it for a week and hasn't been driven for a couple of weeks. Could the fact it's been sat for so long in the cold and the snow sitting on it have caused this?

This side of the car will have been resprayed previously, so maybe there was moisture trapped under there when it was done.

I can't afford a respray, so would it maybe be best to take it to a bodyshop and see what they say?

Once I've saved up, I may get it resprayed at some point, but would like to stop the bubbling getting any worse for now.

If there is moisture trapped under the paint then it will always show itself in the cold weather. My NA looked mint in summer but it would always bubble over the rear arches. These were tiny and looked like water drops on the surface.

H.

It'll be the result of a cheap blow over in damp conditions, most likely the exporter or importer, it takes maybe a year or three to show up, but then an expensive job to put right.

The exporters/importers have had your money, so grease up your wallet or live with a pimply Supra. :shrug:

It'll be the result of a cheap blow over in damp conditions, most likely the exporter or importer, it takes maybe a year or three to show up, but then an expensive job to put right.

The exporters/importers have had your money, so grease up your wallet or live with a pimply Supra. :shrug:

It's funny you should say that. I have seen two very rare cars £25K+ with the same problem after being imported.

It's a UK spec (if that was aimed at me) :)

I think it must have been resprayed in less than perfect conditions previously.

It's also a Cat D isn't it? That obviously means paintwork has taken place. There are very few decent painters in the UK, your car has likely been a victim of the $#@!e majority!

Josh's car isnt any Cat as its never been claimed on by any insurance companys.

It has however been sprayed down the drivers side so that would explain why the paint has pimples but it wasent a cheap job so not sure why its doing it.

I personally wouldnt mess with it and see how it goes once its dried off.