The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to buy stuff from prices etc.

Graham1984

Apart from buying off of others on here has anyone thought to start a thread with shops/sites etc of where to buy good quality parts and a price list??? I noticed that the o2 sensors can be expensive to replace and then saw a thread that suggest rock auto parts which resulted in being able to get 2denso o2 sensors sent from USA for £80 shipping tax vat ect included.

Just thought maybe the mods could open up a list that people could include where they get their parts from as everyone always hunts for price and a quality products but not everyone knows about them.

So many people have their own sources as they have been maintaining their cars for years and judging by their photos they know a thing or two about using quality parts but more where to find them would be even better and hopefully might cut down on the pointless threads. If there was a rough guide to show who sells what then maybe the odd review of what it is like and includes not just the traders but any website and what to buy from them would be a great help for newbies.

Not really, just a little pointless I think. There are the ODD item that are hard to source, like O2 sensors, but you take your chances with the unknown in that department. Generally the best place to get parts from are the forum traders/hobbyists.

In my time on here I have generally only dealt with Traders, Hobbyists, Mr T, Members and on the very odd occasion Ebay. I personally don't see the need of a list of individual parts when the sources will probably remain the same for the most part.

You picked up on O2 sensors, how about a list of the individual parts you think need re-sourcing? It might get the ball rolling and prove me wrong that there IS in fact a multitude of cheap reliable sources out there.

That's the thing as I have only had my car 10minutes I am not too sure what would be worth considering minus say the obvious and was hoping people far more superior could could help out and even give a possible idea of mileage of when you may want to consider new parts such as I think Nic said the O2 sensors would be a good idea to swap around the 50k mark which for an idiot like me is invaluable info along with the cleaning guide as well (although I prefer to just pay and get new) and it may stop some of the threads. Plus you may be abble to offload some of that snake oil you said you had kicking about.

That's the thing as I have only had my car 10minutes I am not too sure what would be worth considering minus say the obvious and was hoping people far more superior could could help out and even give a possible idea of mileage of when you may want to consider new parts such as I think Nic said the O2 sensors would be a good idea to swap around the 50k mark which for an idiot like me is invaluable info along with the cleaning guide as well (although I prefer to just pay and get new) and it may stop some of the threads. Plus you may be abble to offload some of that snake oil you said you had kicking about.

The service manual is there for that though. It suggests when parts should be replaced, cambelt, O2 sensors, etc etc. The other items on the car such as suspension, wishbones, etc etc should just be replaced when worn. Driving habits has a lot more to do with wear and tear than what mileage does, for the most part anyway.

There are very few parts that should be replaced after x years or xxk miles. The ones that are to be replaced at certain intervals are in the service manual. There is a service guide, oil faq, etc etc all in the faq section to help you out in these areas.

Having a list of suppliers for parts isn't going to stop people from posting threads like "I have a noise coming from the rear", "the engine is making a ticking sound", "my wheel is shaking at speed" etc so I don't really see your point on that front.

In your first thread I thought you were looking for a list of common parts that get replaced and a list of sources for those common parts. If you are having trouble using the "search" function then perhaps a guide on using it would be better rather than listing lots of things that are already covered throughout the forum.

Yeah I see your point and like I said it probably was a dumb idea. Just surprising that some bits like spark plugs you can get for sod all at sparkplugs.co.uk O2 from rock auto £80 delivered for 2 and even things like K&N panel filter was £35quid from demon tweeks if you didnt want a stock replacement. Just thought there maybe more too it than I thought for oils etc that some people might not think off as a mate of mine used opieoils.co.uk and got AYC fluid and rear diff oil for£25 which he said was bloody cheap race spec oil 6litres was about £40 and is cheaper than most poeple who don't think to shop about and use halfrauds etc.

Yeah I see your point and like I said it probably was a dumb idea. Just surprising that some bits like spark plugs you can get for sod all at sparkplugs.co.uk O2 from rock auto £80 delivered for 2 and even things like K&N panel filter was £35quid from demon tweeks if you didnt want a stock replacement. Just thought there maybe more too it than I thought for oils etc that some people might not think off as a mate of mine used opieoils.co.uk and got AYC fluid and rear diff oil for£25 which he said was bloody cheap race spec oil 6litres was about £40 and is cheaper than most poeple who don't think to shop about and use halfrauds etc.

Opie Oils is a trader on here anyway. I think a good 90% of the forum use them tbh.

The thing is a lot of people know people or deal with companies outside the forum for consumable parts like plugs etc. For example a local dealer who I tend to get plugs off can get a full set of iridium plugs in various heat ranges for about £10 less than sparkplugs.co.uk. It may not sound a lot of money but its a saving non the less.

Sorry I never knew opie oils was a trader but was just using them as an example after a friend used them a while ago. £10 saved is £10 saved in my opinion so fair play on that as I am sure that went on petrol anyway.

I personally am usually not too bad at finding bits myself plus a mate who is a mechanic is handy for cheap labour, tyres etc as he puts them through the garage and sells to me at the garage paid price not resale, it was more for others that just buy and pay the first price they see and don't think to shop around.