The mkiv Supra Owners Club

clutch slip?

Jellybean

Car is bpu , has a Carbonetic triple or twin, on wot she is fine but this is the 2nd time in 5th she engages the gear but revs shoot up as it would if you where in neutral, nothing happens.

First time it happened was back in the summer, Ia the clutch slipping? Why only 5th gear, plus it happens periodically, not something I can replicate on demand

If the clutch is on it's way out it'll start to slip when it's under the most load ie. in a high gear at lower speeds. To test try putting the car in say 4th or 5th at 30mph and accelerating, if it is slipping you'll hear the engine revving without drive to the gearbox. A slipping clutch generates a lot of heat so get it changed ASAP if it is.

Thanks guys, think I will just go OEM clutch and flywheel

Talking from my personal experience I WOULDN'T. Im BPU, ok with a few extras. But I went OEM with a competition flywheel and the clutch started to slip after 7 months or so. Id go uprated clutch, I have a stage 4 competition clutch with competition lightened flywheel and it's working great!

• 5 months later...