The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T78 Turbo Kit - Opinions?

Samurai 20V

Hi guys..

I came across the ffg brand new T78 turbo kit for sale... Cost is just over 1000GBP...

I did some searching on here, it seems to be quite an old tech turbo, quite laggy..

I was thinking of buying the kit, selling the turbo and buying the GTX35R to use with this kit when I get back to SA.

Any opinions? The price is very good hence I am considering it.. I suppose the downpipe and the intercooler piping may need some modding but other than that any other issues I may run into?

What make is the manifold?

Seems to be custom made.. Not branded..

I personally wouldn't go for it. :)

Any reason mate?

not bad for a grand but i steer clear as you DO get what you pay for, there is no cutting corners on going single but there are decent second hand setups which appear now and then... i would wait for a decent used setup or buy a whiffbits turbo kit

That is good advice I reckon...

I assumed it was a Greddy kit, but looks like a copy..

Seems to be custom made.. Not branded..

Any reason mate?

That is good advice I reckon...

I assumed it was a Greddy kit, but looks like a copy..

Unbranded old-school copy parts.

Does it sound worth it? IMO it will crack in no time. People put their names to products when they are good ;)

Thanks mates..

I will steer clear for sure.

I assumed it was a Greddy, luckily I posted it on here, you guys are on the money...

It's hard to do the sensible thing at times, especially when you are presented with pictures of exciting new parts that look shiney and good. Generally it's for the best though :)

It's hard to do the sensible thing at times, especially when you are presented with pictures of exciting new parts that look shiney and good. Generally it's for the best though :)

For sure mate.. Internet shopping makes it so easy to buy unnecessary and potential crappy stuff..

BTW, I am fitting the Mines ECU tomorrow...:D

If it's a genuine GReddy kit I'd say go for it for that price, if it's an unknown kit, of unknown quality then I would personally steer clear.

HKS Turbo Setup Kit + Garrett GTX35R, that would be my preference. :)

Not a Greddy kit Nic...

I am settled on the GTX35R, just need to get the setup kit at a good price..

id be more worried about the wastegate. as soon as my setups running sweet im swapping my 4 bolt for sure just for peice of mind.

yep! i agree with noz! thats the same wastegate i had on my set up. its the 50mm hks copy and it was giving me boost problems. i had to get an adapter made up and go with a branded named wastegate for safty. the kit its self looks the same as mine with the 4" intake pipe. but if you where to buy it i would replace a few parts ;-)