The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shaped oil coolers??? Are these avaliable

hodge

I'm looking into a solution to moving my oil cooler to a side ducting in the bumper. The only way to do this would be to get a U-shaped cooler to go around my IC pipe. Is there any companies out there that do custom shaped oil coolers instead of the run of the mill rectangular ones.

Thanks

John

Those are curved the wrong way Johnny. Basically it needs to be actually an L shape would be better but with the fins facing forward when mounted. I can see this being a bit of a challenge. I suppose I could use 2 x 10 row coolers mounted in an L-shape instead of 1 big cooler. I can see this being a tinker to sort. Best get my thinking cap on.

My oil cooler is 19 row I think mate, would that do you? It's keeping my oil steady temperatures :)

Yours is a 25 row cooler same as mine. I want to move it for 2 reasons really.

1) to open up the rad to more free air

2) because half the cooler is blocked by the IC end tank and I want to free it up to its full potential.

I think if you go non-uniform shape, like an L shape, it might impede the flow? Would two smaller, 10 row ones work?

Maybe, but I've just thought of a cunning plan. I'll check out the space over the weekend and need to have a chat with Stevo about some carbon fibre skinning :D

Yours is a 25 row cooler same as mine. I want to move it for 2 reasons really.

1) to open up the rad to more free air

2) because half the cooler is blocked by the IC end tank and I want to free it up to its full potential.

According to the Think Automotive (Mocal) catalogue, it's not a problem to have the oil cooler in front of the radiator:

Installing an oil cooler

In the case of the air to oil cooler, the oil cooler will only achieve results where a volume of air is passing through the fins. The amount of heat dissipated by radiation is negligible. In practice the most convenient position for the oil cooler is in front of the water radiator where a flow of air is guaranteed. Even in cases where the water cooling is marginal, placing the cooler in this position will have hardly any effect on water temperature. The sheer volume of air passing through the cooler ensures that the air is only heated a few degrees, not enough to affect the water radiator performance, and as the oil cooler is a more efficient device for extracting heat from the engine, the overall effect is helpful. However, where water cooling is marginal it is essential that the oil cooler be placed against the water radiator face, otherwise warmer air leaving the oil cooler will become turbulent on meeting air at ambient temperatures and will not pass through the water radiator. If placing of cooler and water radiator in close proximity is not possible then a duct of thin aluminium should be made to exclude the ambient air. If space is not available in front of the water radiator, due to an electrical fan for instance, the cooler may be mounted behind the radiator and will still work well for the reasons already given.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-mounted-oil-cooler-Audi-RS6-V10-07L117021L-/120658676308?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c17d14a54

If you ignore the price and look at the design I think there could be a real market for those. The surface area would be the same but it could easily be mounted lower to stop the rad from being as effected.

Possibly use low pressure in wheel well to suck air through a cooler on passenger side, it wouldn't need to have an aspect to incoming air, only ducting or a path for air to pass from high (nose area) to low pressure (wheel well) with the cooler in the way ducted obviously.

Edited by bigbloodyturbo (see edit history)

I'm looking into a solution to moving my oil cooler to a side ducting in the bumper. The only way to do this would be to get a U-shaped cooler to go around my IC pipe. Is there any companies out there that do custom shaped oil coolers instead of the run of the mill rectangular ones.

Thanks

John

Would it not be easier to get the IC pipe modified/re-fabricated so that you can mount the oil cooler in front of the pipe?

I can get curved rads and oil coolers made, but the cost is horrific,over 1K for the sort of thing you are talking about. I can get cores done that taper as well, again though, very pricey. If you could be persuaded to run a proper engine driven fan and a decent rad shroud, you could use a Laminova oil to water heat exchanger hidden away, and let the water cooling system reject the oil heat as well. Beautifiully made, and not that expensive for what you get, I use them on two of the race cars. You can combine two heat exchangers in one core, to have say the engine and transmission coolers in one neat unit. Neat, did I say neat? He'll love that ;)

http://www.laminova.se/products/oil-coolers-combined/complete-oil-coolers-combined-ecd54/ecd54-271-combined

http://www.laminova.se/

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)