The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oven Method on Headlights

Reeves1

Right i got a couple of questions for this!!!

i found a couple of things on here but nothing i could say was informantive wheather to do it or not etc.

How easy to take it apart?

What tempt?

how long for?

the reason im asking is im looking about stripping down a headlight unit and rebuilding it?

also was wondering i saw a carbon fibre version on the rear lights where can i buy a set from or can i do the same and rebuild them myself?

Cheers for any advice

Depends on temprature. i had em in about 10-15mins with 100 celsius. not to messy i would say. keep your fingers in 1 place and just pry them open. when they split let em cool down before you touch them.

the carbon fibre inserts for the rear that ive seen was some Jamie P had and i think its carbon wrap. but i guess it will be a PITA to do with the headlights.

I did mine last weekend. Really easy, I put mine in the oven for 10 minutes at 150 degrees, they were not too hot to handle and came apart really easily. When you've finished the refurb, pop them back in and push back together, use a bit more sealant if you think the seal isn't quite there and Robert's your uncles brother! There is a good thread with step by step and photo's if you put headlight refurb in the thread search you should find it easily. Mine look 100 times better so would recommend

Whatever you do don't follow the above guide. I've tried my best to get it ammended but it still hasn't happened. The more people that follow that guide the more people that will end up with scrap headlights.

Do NOT put the oven above 100 degrees C. 80 is plenty for the most part, the only time I have set it at 100 has been for glass headlights as they can take a little longer otherwise. 10 mins at a true 80-100 degrees C is PLENTY.

what gas mark would that be mate? for people on gas ovens

and is it still ok to use autosol metal polish ? if we have it handy

I haven't done it with a gas oven, to be honest I wouldn't recommend it but if it had to be done I would do trial and error... starting at 1/2 or 1 obviously lol.

I would personally use G3 or plastix. G3 if they are fairly bad, and Plastix if they just need a spruce up. Metal polish isn't ideal.

i did my old fiesta headlights ( years ago now!) for 10 mins at 100'.

DO NOT do what i did though.... stick in both lights.. realise i had no black paint.. think.."meh, its midday and sunny... i dont need headlights" ..drive the 5 miles to halfords and get pulled over.

i did my old fiesta headlights ( years ago now!) for 10 mins at 100'.

DO NOT do what i did though.... stick in both lights.. realise i had no black paint.. think.."meh, its midday and sunny... i dont need headlights" ..drive the 5 miles to halfords and get pulled over.

lol its always the way

never see any police when driving but when theres a time you really dont want to see them you get pulled lol

u dont need headlights in the day you just need signals. ive driven on the link road and been slowly overtaken by police with headlights missing. they even waved!!

i used a hair dryer on rear lights. trust me, its a PITA, use oven at 80°C. if it doesnt work, cook it for longer, ScottM knows his stuff.

Whatever you do don't follow the above guide. I've tried my best to get it ammended but it still hasn't happened. The more people that follow that guide the more people that will end up with scrap headlights.

Do NOT put the oven above 100 degrees C. 80 is plenty for the most part, the only time I have set it at 100 has been for glass headlights as they can take a little longer otherwise. 10 mins at a true 80-100 degrees C is PLENTY.

Listen to Scott bud! 80-100 is plenty, keep checking on them too when they're in to make sure they're not melting, and try to make sure they're not touching the sides. Another tip is to put them on an upside down baking tray when putting them in the oven, it means you're not risking melting the bottom on the wire shelf/bottom of the oven.

Do they definintely need put in? 9 times out of 10 it's on the outside, and if you scratch the inside of the lense they end up looking worse. I'd try a proper clean of the outside first, wetsand the lenses with a very fine grit paper until they go all white, then buff them using an orbital or rotary polisher with a compound like G3, they'll come up great and might not need split. They'll need done again in a few months though. The only time I'd split is if the chrome was peeling and needed painting.