The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drivability for high lift cams

Noz

Hi guys. Was wondering how high lift cams affects general driving through the rev range. Saw a GE with 312 and got me thinking about what it would be to drive. I've seen some evil sounding 280's and was just wondering how it feels depending on if you go with 264 or above. Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how come your injectors are so big? surely you could run same bhp with smaller ones they are HUUUUGE!

Because i can run at like 43% duty and not ever have to worry about them being maxxed out - my old ones were 800cc Sards at very high duty so these are ideal. Like i say they've been mapped and behave perfectly :)

do you get any lope?

I get a bit of lope when it's cold - but as soon as it's up to temp, it's all good. The cold start at the moment needs a couple of tweaks, because it's ~10 degrees ambient lower now than it was when it was mapped.

It'll all be sorted when the next lot of work gets done :)

No mate just regular 99ron :) ....RyanG mapped it for me ;)

Ryan seems to know what he is doing :) and he seems to do magic on the S6 aswell. ive heard from several other people that its not "that" hard to get em nice. i have no clue really as iam not that much into the ECU programing. iam guessing there are from a decent maker aswell. the only downside would be the price id guess ;)

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

Ryan seems to know what he is doing :) and he seems to do magic on the S6 aswell. ive heard from several other people that its not "that" hard to get em nice. i have no clue really as iam not that much into the ECU programing. iam guessing there are from a decent maker aswell. the only downside would be the price id guess ;)

Yes my Supra has the Syvecs S6 installed too. Top be honest mate you wont find a better mapper than Ryan so its well worth the money :)

With the latest tech ECU's like the Syvecs you can get a high lift cam to behave very well indeed. I run my own 280 9.9mm lift cams just the same as Mark has in his car and it idles very smoothly at 1000rpm, its not something you should worry about. 9.9mm lift isn't really that high though when you compare to the cams that go into an RB26 engine, 11.5 is considered high on one of those, 9.9 is low!

With the latest tech ECU's like the Syvecs you can get a high lift cam to behave very well indeed. I run my own 280 9.9mm lift cams just the same as Mark has in his car and it idles very smoothly at 1000rpm, its not something you should worry about. 9.9mm lift isn't really that high though when you compare to the cams that go into an RB26 engine, 11.5 is considered high on one of those, 9.9 is low!

Slightly OT: Paul, is there any reason why the cams in the 2JZ heads are relatively low lift?

Yes my Supra has the Syvecs S6 installed too. Top be honest mate you wont find a better mapper than Ryan so its well worth the money :)

Sorry to clutter up this thread. Yeah the S6 seems really nice with all the built in features. like the knock controll and all the parameters etc. going to be kicking it with the new display aswell. Well there is really no Syvecs mappers here in sweden i know a dude that is ace with Haltech systems. I probebly wont be needing a true aftermarket controller for my engine tho. as i have a future aim to really get the most from Twin turbos is iam inlove with the way it works atm. early boost nice torque i just love it. and in sweden you would need to make the car 100% or close for the MOT and i really cba with doing that and all that stress.

Sorry for hijacking.

Slightly OT: Paul, is there any reason why the cams in the 2JZ heads are relatively low lift?
Me too, as far as i know it seems to be for the most jap cars. or atleast the ones from -90-> -00. if i recall right i had a Dr Schrick camshaft in my BMW that lifted 12.4 iirc. and that was not even the highest lifting cam.

i think my stock 7M camshaft lifted 6,XX

i think ive just won the award for most posts on a thread not actually answering the question lol

i read somewhere that 10.97mm is the most a 2JZ would want to be taken to, how would a 280 duration 9.9mm act differently to a 280 10.97mm ?