The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gauges - Do you actually read them or know what they mean?

Tyson

I see loads of people with all different gauges but apart from a boost gauge I doubt most people know what is a bad reading or even check them at all. Who here can honestly tell me they check (more than once or twice) their gauges and actually know what a bad reading is and when they should stop? I know there will some but I can't help feeling people just get them for show and have no clue what they are showing or check them.

Discuss.

afr by far the most looked a guage i have, just makes me know the rubish piggy back ecu is working.

Yup, thats because you have a poor (sorry) ecu :D i never look at my afr readings, only thing i ever check is the boost gauge so i know im making full power.

Fastest 6 speed supra in the world dont have a single aftermarket gauge in it.

RPM shift light, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge are all I worry about, on track. I don't like digital dash boards so have a very bright low oil pressure warning lamp, and a decent oil pressure gauge. I do look at data logs after every track session. If I had a Supra again as a road car I would just have a decent boost gauge and a higher pressure oil warning light switch. I really can't stand road cars with gauges strung everywhere, if you were to actually check them all regularly you'd probably be in the back of another car, or off the road :)

I was thinking a decent boost gauge, oil and fuel pressure gauge is all I'd run but then again i'm one to run on tracks so its always useful to know if there's about to be a catastrophic failure :D

TBH if you have a decent standalone which has data logging capabilities then I doubt you would need more than a boost guage as any major problems should be logged on there.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Ive got a full suite, oil temp and pressure, AFR, EGT and boost, also have a temp and fuel pressure to put somewhere. Im all for using the Syvecs as per Chris Wilsons idea to cut the engine should certain conditions be met i.e low oil or fuel pressure and bin off gauges

If you don't mind digital displays and have deep pockets, this is about as good as it gets. They look like printed vinyl even in direct sunlight. Stunning.

http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=lds4-driver-display

i have Oil pressure...boost... water temp and oil temp. as they are defis they are all alarmed so i dont have to pay as much attention... that and i can record peaks and lows... as well as runs. that said... i check em alot lol! im paranoid too haha!

Sent from Galaxy S2 white

Yup, thats because you have a poor (sorry) ecu :D i never look at my afr readings, only thing i ever check is the boost gauge so i know im making full power.

Fastest 6 speed supra in the world dont have a single aftermarket gauge in it.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/sw_preparing.jpg

Slightly off topic but which supra is that?

I Check mine every time I drIve, Lee told me when my oil gauge is at 2 it's warm enough to boot the car :), plus I can check what boost I'm hitting.

Once the car's been driven for more than 20 minutes the oil is more than likely to be warm enough to boot anyway. I dont think you need a gauge to tell you that :D

As said before the Defi's are ridiculously expensive... BUT I really do like the recordable funtion, peak and warning which you can set yourself. Couple that with the monitor function on the fc commander (which I have on knocking sensor) I have pretty much everything covered. Got an AEM AFR gauge to go in over winter. I love the gauge look :) They saved my car when it was dropping water out of the expansion bottle, stock water temp was in the middle but defi alarm went off (100 degrees and above). Knew there was something wrong and pulled over. If I hadn't had it I would have carried on giving the car some for another 5 mins.

I had oil pressure, boost and AFR. These are now gone and I have a dash2, although I might get one of Ryan's dash things for my Syvecs.

Oil pressure was set with visual and audio incase pressure dropped. Boost was handy on setting up the boost controller. Other than that it was just bling.

Even the dash2 is predominantly there for show and as a toy.