The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery relocation ideas! thoughts?

TopSecret1

The last owner on my Supra relocated the battery.

He just put it on top of the carpet and it looked out of place. So I am trying to get it placed somewhere clean and stable.

What do you guys think about this location for the battery? Do you think its possible for me to have my carpet normally in the trunk and just cut it a bit so my battery sticks through it?

This particular battery is quite big, the rear seat barely closes. I may try and get a slimmer battery. Or maybe there is a better place where I can mount it?

Edited by TopSecret1 (see edit history)

You need to secure it better. If you hit something or the seat for some reason pops down, you are going to have a real problem. Also, it is not a 100% desireable place as it is fairly high mounted. A better place would be in the footwell behind the passenger seat. As low as possible and in between the axels is the best solution from a dynamics perspective.

Are you moving it just to "do a Hodge" in the engine bay and make it look less cluttered, or moving it to take some of the excess weight off the front end back to a more central and lower place, and to save weight in a car used on track? If the latter a Varley Red Top 30 or 40 in the passenger side rear foot well is a far better choice, as bodilx6 says. Whatever and wherever, it needs PROPERLY anchoring, if you have a serious bump you don't want many kilos of battery flying around the inside of the car, potentially sparking and clouting you in the face.

:) I need to speak with you re a 1/2 pallet, don't I? If you don't have access to one I can see how much it will be to have one sent up. When are you likely to have the engine stripped John?

I'm not starting the job until February Chris so there's plenty of time mate.