The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Putting the supra away this winter

Marcus GTE

I might have jumped the gun with the weather being pretty mild, but after last year I wasn't taking any chances. Last year I was forced to use the supra to get to work during all the bad snow. It slid around and got stuck and at times it was like having 2 passenger seats in the front.

I didn't think it was fair to put it through another winter like that so last week I flew down to Luton and picked up a '95 mitsubishi shogun. I only paid £620 for it on eBay (12 moths mot). I was taking a bit of a risk as I literally bought it in the dark (8pm by the time I arrived) I have not bought 4 cars on eBay and have always been pleased, this has worked out to be the case so far this time too as it made it 350 miles back up the road.

Glad I did it to protect my pride and joy as its tucked up in the garage. Anyone else thought about doing/ done the same after how bad things were last year?

yep i do the same,

mine also been off since 1st september,

its dar at 5 o clock, so nobody can see the supra lol.

plus the frosty roads etc dangerous for 400BHP RWD.

nice to get a few little jobs done on it whilst its away in the garage :)

Never thought I would do it as IT'S A CAR!!! but my insurance was up at end of October and I hardly used it for 3 months last winter so I've sorned it and bought a cheapo runaround for the winter that cost me less to buy and put on the road than my renewal! With the fuel I'm saving (about £40 per week) and the money I get back when I sell it, it will pay for my insurance and probably some goodies for the car on top. That's if I can last out....

Mine is at the body shop getting a full re-spray with slight body modification and then it's off to the trimmers. I am going to be away till mid feburary so I thought it would be a good time to get it done! Though Portuguese winter's is nothing like UK's so it wouldn't stop me from driving it anyhow..! :-)

I am thinking about bucking the trend and taking the cover off ours. I am sick of not being able to use it..!!

When the ice arrives I will probably put it away but this keeping a car under cover and keeping it pristine is becoming over rated.

H.

I quite like the fact that mine has a few marks on the paintwork, so that I can use it whenever without worrying and if it gets a bit dirty and it's too cold to wash it, I don't mind leaving it a few days.

I had planned on getting a cover for mine, but I know I wouldn't bother driving it if I did.

I've used mine as a daily too up until now- including through all last winter, but had the chance to get something else to take the punishment of all the salt and grime. that was really a bonus point, the main reason was I didn't want to skid off the road and hit a lamp post. I think you can drive it in the snow if you are careful, I just didn't want to risk it again given the choice.

While its put away I'm going to make an order from opie oil and attempt my first oil and filter change. I also want to refurb my headlights. Just worried they will stink the oven out!

mine was a daily for a few months until i could save up for a daily, was so glad when i didnt heave to use the supra for work everyday as 581bhp wasnt good for the fuel consumtion lol and it made the car not feel as special using it as a daily. but now ive got the daily, its tucked under a car cover on the drive as the garage is still full of building stuff while the house is getting finished. got a room full of parts waiting to go on though :)