The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car wash paint damage!

FOSTA

hey guys.

i need some advice on trying to fix my paint work (car is gloss black). i took it to one of them self car wash places last sunday. i bought 5 minutes but i only got as far as a foam soap brush with that time. so i ran back in to buy more minutes to rinse the car off. so the soap was left on for around 5mins while i waited in the que. but i noticed yesterday that all the edges of the car (where the bumpers join. rear spats and bottom of doors) has gone a whiteish color? as if its been bleached! there is a perfect stright line on the top of the side skirts where the water and soap has been dripping off on to the skirts! and also the car is now coverd in very small blisters like tiny air-pockets in the paint, there not noticable unless you stick your eyeball against the paint or put a very bright lamp up against the body to see. so thats not much of a problem.

but for the whitish bleach marks ive tried G3 on a machine polisher (quite lightly as im not 100% confident that i wont burn through the paint lol) but it wont shift it?

i normally wash the car by hand and that was the last wash the car had witch makes me belive that was what caused this.

i will get some pics up tonite........ also i had my rear bumper painted about 5month back but for some reason it hasnt affected the bumper so now the rear bumper stands out like a sore thumb? wierd! :blink:

i just hope i dont need a full repray :(

Dont sound good to me, the white marks could have been left if they used a strong truck wash solution? micro blisters covering the car dont sound good and i would not advise using G3 on them.

Sounds like its a repaint!! I never use or will i ever use these wash places, they dont care about what car it is they are just cowboys... in it for a few quid. I hope something comes of it when you see them or ask what they used on the car but i very much doubt they will own up to it being there mistake

I'd be able to give you a better opinion once the pics are up but it sounds like its a very strong TFR mix.

Once you pop the pics up I'll hopefully be able to help (detailer by hobby) :)

cheers mate i will do as soon as i get home! thats if its still light outside lol

Dont sound good to me, the white marks could have been left if they used a strong truck wash solution? micro blisters covering the car dont sound good and i would not advise using G3 on them.

Sounds like its a repaint!! I never use or will i ever use these wash places, they dont care about what car it is they are just cowboys... in it for a few quid. I hope something comes of it when you see them or ask what they used on the car but i very much doubt they will own up to it being there mistake

i wasnt trying to G3 the blisters mate i was trying to reduce the bleach marks but like you said i shouldnt of really done that lol

ok ive just got off the phone to morrisons! as soon as i tried to explain thay transferred me to the petrol station so i started to explain to him and all i got was " i dont know what chemical is in the machines and im by myself so can you ring back tomorrow"

i thought was wasnt very helpfull. so i asked if there was a manager i could speek to and he replied " ask for linda lamb but shes not in untill tomorrow".

i cant really see this getting me anywhere with them but its worth a shot.

ok ive just got off the phone to morrisons! as soon as i tried to explain thay transferred me to the petrol station so i started to explain to him and all i got was " i dont know what chemical is in the machines and im by myself so can you ring back tomorrow"

i thought was wasnt very helpfull. so i asked if there was a manager i could speek to and he replied " ask for linda lamb but shes not in untill tomorrow".

i cant really see this getting me anywhere with them but its worth a shot.

Just call their head office and say you're complaining, I'm sure they'll listen to you.

I highly doubt the station themselves will do anything as the chemicals will be decided by the company and I'm sure they comply with regulations and that.

Just call their head office and say you're complaining, I'm sure they'll listen to you.

I highly doubt the station themselves will do anything as the chemicals will be decided by the company and I'm sure they comply with regulations and that.

thanks for that mate! ive just rang headoffice and they said they will get somone to call me back in the morning as they need to speek with the manager of that store .

I cant understand why anyone would use one of those drive through car washes....the swirl marks they leave can look terrible, especially on a dark car!!....Anyway lesson learnt ....in future wash it yourself mate you know it will be ok then....I dont even take my car to the hand car wash as I do not trust them....only I clean my Supra normally takes 2 hrs...

I cant understand why anyone would use one of those drive through car washes....the swirl marks they leave can look terrible, especially on a dark car!!....Anyway lesson learnt ....in future wash it yourself mate you know it will be ok then....I dont even take my car to the hand car wash as I do not trust them....only I clean my Supra normally takes 2 hrs...

They did a test on Fifth Gear where 3 cars were detailed and they put one through a petrol station car wash, one was washed by the monkeys at the car park down the road and the other I think was washed by just a normal bloke.

The best results were had by the drive through car wash at the petrol station.

Ok here are some pics. They don't look as bad on the pics as they do in the flesh but that must be me camera lol I also can't pick up the micro blisters on the Camara.

But you can see the edges are really White looking and it fades out over the paint work making it look like the paintwork is really badly faded! And you can see it hasn't affected the rear bumper for some reason :-\

You can see the stright white line where its been dripping onto the sideskirt

They did a test on Fifth Gear where 3 cars were detailed and they put one through a petrol station car wash, one was washed by the monkeys at the car park down the road and the other I think was washed by just a normal bloke.

The best results were had by the drive through car wash at the petrol station.

Really??

Not good mate and definetly a lesson learnt :( Be interesting to see what they have to say, but unfortunately i think you will struggle. I'm fairly sure a good detailing session should sort it for you. Get some prices for a detailer local to you so you are equipped with some costs for fixing when they call you back.