The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear mount turbo kits

Graham1984

I was just looking out of interest not that I was going to at all and wondered who else had seen all this stuff as like you said front mount is standard due to room in the engine bay compared to the cars that run this. Just was something I had never seen before until dude showed me the other day.

WHy would you want to rear mount on a Supra, you realize you will have to run all the IC pipes to the back of the car thats just for starters, rear mount kits are designed for cramped engine bays

1) No need for Intercooler

2) No underbonnet heat

3) No need for a manifold

4) It can be completley hidden unless really looked for

Weve just done this on a peugeot it is hilarious, you cannot tell with the car on the floor unless you lay on the ground and there is no lag as the engine is still an NA.

I am so glad you came along dude as I had the feeling you "may" be able to explain and shed a tad more light on it than myself who's only knowledge is 1) Cars need fuel now and then 2) Old people are worth 45points for mowing them down 3) Gingers are worth more especially if they are in herds then a predetermined multiplier comes into effect.

I now advise anyone to ask dude on said subject even though I did amazingly get dressed all by myself today but sadly his pictures bear more weight of knowledge than my t-shirt that is actually on the wrong way round.

I would but frankly I have no idea about all the stuff needed where to source etc so will leave it to someone way more intelligent.

There are bolt-on NA-T kits available, versus a rear mount kit that would need custom pipes and brackets fabricating. Which do you think would be easier and cheaper to do?

1) No need for Intercooler

2) No underbonnet heat

3) No need for a manifold

4) It can be completley hidden unless really looked for

Weve just done this on a peugeot it is hilarious, you cannot tell with the car on the floor unless you lay on the ground and there is no lag as the engine is still an NA.

Sorry to be a bit thick - but how do you mount a turbo on an engine without a manifold?

I would love to do this to my S4, I had been checking out SC kits for it but they were all 20k and not really worth it but this looks like a real option to bbe able to run a nice reliable 6-7psi on a stock S4 4.2 which should net about 440-450hp? I've seen it done on a pug 205 and on a corvette, how would water on the turbine housing work? wouldn't it suffer thermal shock?

I always thought there was two turbines in a turbo with one driven by the exhaust which then drives the other and pushes into the inlet side so cant figure out how one mounted in the exhaust would work. Would the heat not be directed on to the toeboard where the pedals are or the transmission etc?

If it is so good why has no manufacturer used this before now?

Does sound interesting though if no manifold,intercooler etc to have to be used - twin turbo V8s etc - ftw :eyebrows:

Yeah Dude showed me the 206 as well, I was like WTF?!? but It does make sense in a lot of ways. The only complicated bit about the system is probably the oil delivery and return (need to use a remote pump). But then Dude mentioned that you can get oilless Turbo's....

There are loads of video's on Youtube with "rear" or "remote" mounted turbo systems... Pretty funky really :)

Just looked at that site and at first I took the OP was talking of a rear mounted turbo as in one facing the bulkhead as opposed to the normal forward facing position - but seems now they are mounted at the rear in the exhaust not even in the engine compartment! Not sure I like the idea of two red-hot turbos either side of my fuel tank though! :innocent:

I never knew about the oil less turbo's but even getting a pump or something could be sorted surely. Seams a good idea in some way for us Na folk as you do not need some of what were the most important bits.

Dude told me not to go Na-T and with my desire to be different I would not totally dismiss this as a option.

Just looked at that site and at first I took the OP was talking of a rear mounted turbo as in one facing the bulkhead as opposed to the normal forward facing position - but seems now they are mounted at the rear in the exhaust not even in the engine compartment! Not sure I like the idea of two red-hot turbos either side of my fuel tank though! :innocent:

The Turbo wouldn't get red hot though. Sure it would get hot but not as hot as it would take to ignite petrol any easier than a normal exhaust would..

why would they be hotter than your exhaust? thats whats heating them up, plus they'll be in open air, if not a little ducted to keep road cr@p of them. My only concern would be the intake tubing and where it would route back and the filter for the intake on the turbo, would need to be fed from elsewhere

why would they be hotter than your exhaust? thats whats heating them up, plus they'll be in open air, if not a little ducted to keep road cr@p of them. My only concern would be the intake tubing and where it would route back and the filter for the intake on the turbo, would need to be fed from elsewhere

Dont know really just thoght that a turbo runs hotter that an exhaust! Looking at the pictures on the site I cant see any intake just turbos and oil feeds - so still cant work out the mechanics of the instalation!