The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t build

pjavon

Hi all, Ive started doing an NA-T build on my car and as I've found and been given a fair bit of advise on this site I thought I'd do a thread in case it helps some other people thinking of going down this route:)

First off I had to replace my rad a few weeks back so decided to change over to a twin electric fan set up while I was at it. As you can see it was pretty bad underneath the fan shroud:d

So I ordered an Aluminium Radiator to replace it. An original maybe a better option but it won't look as good;)

OK the fitment was pretty good, just a small tweek and it slotted straight into the bottom cross member.

Test fit

Now I decided to look into twin electric fans instead of the standard viscous fan.

This meant fabricating a shroud for the rear of the Rad.

Cut and notched ready for bending.

Then when I got home I test fitted it, after a little tickle it fitted OK:D

I'll mark the bracket positions out and weld them on next week.

I've got 2 12'' fans arriving and both are rated a 1747cfm so all in all slightly more air movement than the standard viscous (3300 cfm) so hopefully they should be OK.

Then I made the brackets to hold the rad cover plate on. All ready for welding in work.

When the fans turned up they seemed OK so I fitted them to the shroud but I haven't cut the big holes yet as I'm not to sure of the best way yet. Got a few ideas but don't want to rush in feet first and cock it up:D

Then my relays, heat shrink and thermo switch arrived. I think I've got it into my head now so the wiring is about to start:D

This is the thermostat in position

And fitted

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as I've got a spare engine now I think I'm going to try and do an NA-T build on my spare, and attempt to make it look reasonably pretty along the way.

After doing my cam belt and getting my Ally rad and electric fans done I've really got a taste for playing with cars again. This kit is going to be done with 'cheap' parts, I know this is not a popular thing to do and I could well fall flat on my face but after talking to 3 different guy's on netty who run there cars on them I'm reasonably confident the cheap kits do work on Low boost if done correctly. We'll see:D

This won't be done quickly and I'm in no rush as I'm mainly doing it for the build 'fun' and not so much for the end result although it will be nice if I don't blow the engine up along the way.

If I do I'll sell the parts I've still got left and stick my original engine back in.

I'm going to run 6-7psi.

So here goes. This is my basic list to start with:

Turbo:D (T61)

Manifold (boostlogic)

Precision 46mm Wastegate

Down pipe

Mid pipe

Screamer pipe

Intake pipe

Oil feed line (-4AN)

Oil return line (-10AN)

Fittings for oil lines

Boost controller (turbosmart)

Dump Valve (got a second hand one for £40 on eBay)

Piggy back ECU(probably emanage)

Heat wrap

Intake Filter

Gauges (I dont like gauges to much so advice on what I need as a minimum would be good. I'm guessing EGT,AFR, Oil pressure and Boost)

Intercooler

Intercooler hard pipe fitting kit. (got a clearance stock kit for £50 on ebay)

OK as it started

Now I started to look into colours etc, think I'm going with Satin Black cam covers

And the intake is going to be Gunmetal

Throttle linkage all apart for spraying satin black

Slipped on into position just to see what I think, I'll whip the lower intakes off now and do them

And my hard pipe kit For £50, they sent me the wrong one but it looks better for what I need it for:D

Mocked it up a bit today, I like the colours etc so I'm going with this. A few blingy bits in the engine bay but not to much

I have done the lower cam covers but couldn't be bothered fitting these just for a mock up:")

Right after some advise I've sanded the seams of the 'Y' shape piece

But I'm not to sure, opinions please. It's hard to capture on the photo but although I haven't got the ugly seam it can be seen where I have sanded and attempted to fade it in.

Must admit it doesn't look as obvious when fitted though.

Edited by pjavon (see edit history)

Painted the block tonight, still a bit wet in the pic :D

When I got it

A bit of cleaning and some paint

My boostlogic manifold arrived today so i couldn't resist dropping it on to have a look.

Hopefully my turbo will arrive in the next few days

Well it's been like christmas in my house today, turbo arrived then the down pipe and intake pipe. Also got a sceamer pipe but I haven't got a wastegate yet to fit it to:D

I'll be changing the silicone couplers to black when I get around to ordering them:)

I've spent a hour or so making a flange for my oil feed line today, I'll TIG weld the thread on the plate tomorrow in work and if it all works out I'll do the same for the oil return line

Ready for welding tomorrow

Edited by pjavon (see edit history)

Thanks guys

looks brill! how much power you hoping for?

Not to sure really mate, nothing big maybe about 300-350ish

I'm only going for about 7psi to start with and i'll run it at that and see how I get on.

Never turbo'd a car before so I'm going to take it steady and hopefully learn along the way with out falling flat on my face:d

Slight recommendation, remove the Supra logo off the timing cover as it ruins the look entirely.

Do you think, It's what I had knocking around the garage to be honest and is only stuck on with double sided tape for now. It just looked to open without something there, any other idea's as I do sort of agree with you;)

that looks nice dude . the boostlogic manifold is the tits. i was looking at one on another na-t a few days back and the location and angle it sits the turbo at is perfect . ill be getting one of these next

Yeah I believe it's angled so there's no need to replace the dizzy cap which looks ok on mine, a good 30mm gap with out the leads fitted and thats using a 4'' intake.

I've ordered all my oil line fittings etc so thats next on the list to fit