The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lagging at time after decat

Graham1984

I had my Na 1st and 2nd decat the other day but for some reason when you punch the throttle it has a little lag moment almost like the power cuts off then back on again. I was wondering if that's due to where the backbox had all the silencing removed and I put the bung back in (although I made the exit hole slightly wider by removing the pipe) if it was just a build up of back pressure where it cannot escape through the hole causing the small lag?

I would remove the bung but it is too loud so will have to put up with it until I either buy a new back box (with silencing) or the whiffbitzs cat back exhaust for people that have decatted their Na's although I was somewhat worried it may be another problem as well.

It is probably nothing but seeing as you are the people to ask here I am.

My car behaves the same with just one of the cats removed. I have to have the bung in because its just too loud otherwise (Nur spec exhaust). Im going to try a smaller 2.5" system with a couple of silencers to see if that makes any difference.

It is just annoying as pre decat I don't think it ever did that unless it is just where it picks up better now which makes it more noticeable with the slight pause. I wondered if it may be blowing somewhere but doubtful but hoping the whifbitzs 2.5 cat back exhaust will cure it as the system is made for the high flow from the decats.

Any suggestions to what it might be would be great no matter how dumb they sound as I hate when things do not run right!

Ive heard that the NA's run too rich after removing the cats. That would explain the bogging down lower in the rev range.

Im fairly new to this engine so im probably not the best person to ask but one thing I will say, In all honesty, every NA supra I have driven with their cats in place have run better and felt faster and more responsive than mine which is de-catted.

I have not experienced the "Smoother and quicker response" that every man and his dog claims to have acheived after ditching the cats...

Good luck finding the issue though!

Well don't take what I say as gospel either mate... Im just relaying my experience. :) I have read so many claims that the NA runs too rich lower down after removing the cats. If this is the case then the only way to reap benefits of a Decat is to have the car remapped or atleast adjust the fueling with an SAFC or something similar...

Im not going to bother because im changing to FI when I can afford it....

Good luck mate!

At what RPM does it feel like its lagging? don't forget if its below 4-4.5k the valve in the inlet mani wont have had chance to open yet, check any dyno sheet for an NA and their's always a dip in power and torque at this point, maybe this is what you are feeling, ikt is normally very noticable.

TBH mine drives alot better with the cats in but only low down the revs

Edited by Neil-NA (see edit history)

Yeah I think that is what it must be then I vaguely remember it having a moment in 3rd or 4th around 80 or 90mph (on a track obviously). If I get pulled over I will just say Neil-NA said it is the only way to sort out the problem so I had too blast off from the lights in the town.

Just tell them its an NA, its impossible to break the speed limit :D

Hahahaha hopefully that is a viable court defence. I took the fuse out and took it for a spin and it seams ok now and didn't lag but a lot more pokey higher in the rev range like you said which is a result.

The only other thing I need to do is sort the raspy noise out which annoys me....... and add a turbo as well!

The raspyness Is what im trying to sort on mine.. At the moment I have a Nurspec with the bung in and it is horrible.

I have a full 2.5" Stainless system with two silencers im going to butcher and fab up to fit the supra. Hopefully that will solve the raspyness.