The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single turbo with a aem fic. information thread

mellonman

well gents im just trying to see how many people are running sigle turbos with the fic, they was promoted a couple of years ago to be good for a small turbo but now that is not the case i just want to see how many are out there and what problems they have run into and gather as much information about fic map.

1.mellonman

2.black_widow87

3.stephendjp

4.chucky@war

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

are you single yet?

Everyone has there price matron haha. No not yet, the turbo is installed and the oil lines are all on and everything is put back together, I just haven't managed to find the time ot have my DP cut and made to fit properly. Other than that its ready for the FIC to go in, hence why I followed your other thread:-(

i have done abit of research and alot of people are ditching the stock o2 as the map trim out the fuel adjustments even when you screw the o2 voltage. did your mappers do this or did they screw the o2.

i can see this being a easy way to stop going lean as when single the boost you will be making will have alot more air volume at the same psi as stocks or hybrids.

with my hybrids i was staying at 14.7 afr sometimes when at 0.6 boost which is too lean for that amount of boost im thinking.

sorry to be a pain on this im just trying to get as much information as posible to give the mapper the best chance posible with the fic and the supra

okay more information

it seems they intecept the o2 signal which by all acounts is white and cut the singal through the fic at a set psi which would force the stock ecu into open loop so your map would have full control when on boost and still have the use of closed loop lower down,

this does seem to be abit like the fic o2 screw information videos on youtube but a different approch to it and seems to work

• 3 weeks later...

okay have my single on now and im still getting a misfire at about 3800 - 4000 when im at about 1/2 throttle accelarating, do any of you have this? i alway thought it was something to do with the sequencial but now im single its not that.

i did try this when i was sequencial that helped a little but did remove it again as didnt cure ithe fault.

We have seen a couple of vehicles, including an automatic Scion xB, that had erratic misfires (especially at high load) that would go away if you bypassed the cam or crank signals so they were not intercepted by the FIC. After measuring the signals with an oscilloscope, we could see that the signals were a bit noisy, and the FIC inputs were sensitive enough that they picked up noise and sent an extra cam pulse to the ECU. The solution was to install a 2k ohm resistor with one side connected to Crank MAGI(+) and the other side connected to Crank MAGI(-). Another 2k resistor installed with one side connected to Cam1 MAGI(+) and the other side connected to Cam1 MAGI(-). None of these vehicles would stall due to this misfire, so it's not likely that this is what you are experiencing.

The stalling may be due to your light load fueling, which is also related to the Injector Response Time setting. More info here:

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,23545.0.html

well it looks like i will have to try that again,

somethings not right as when it happens i see the afr drop down back into early 14's

Are you really getting an AFR around 14-14.6 at WOT/peak boost? I'm sure it should be a fair bit lower than that!

no not at all mate at say a 1/2 throttle pull where the auto would change about 4500 rpm at 3800-4000 it will miss once then as it happends i see the afr at 14.1 this is not the constant reading it was 12.5-13.0 pre miss then 14.1 at the miss then back to 12.5- 13.0.

i think its must be missing a crank signal so doesnt inject fuel for one crank (the miss) and so the afr goes lean due to it?

it doesnt happen often only between 1/2 and 2/3 throttle, but its not right and want it sorted i wish i could tell what causes it.

also to add i have changed the coils,clips,plugs. to try and pin point fault

sweet john thanks for that i will give him a bell tomorrow, loving the single though you where right about that this turbo is no way near as laggy as i thouhgt it would be

Dont call before 10, lukes no early bird and sounded pretty dead today !!!! Maybe he can sort your little problem, we had another FIC with a missfire , had been loads of places and Luke sussed it need resistors soldered in to the loom, hey presto it revved right thru !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

okay some more information on this for people with any fic with a supra,

after a borring standby at work was searching information about the fic again and it kept coming up with it worked better with older firmware z107 is the better one,so i went and checked what firmware i had and it was the newer z110 that can give the miss between 3500-4000 at the transition point between light and full throttle, it was also said that each toyota is a little different being some like the z104 more.

after a quick drive all was well and seemed to be alot more responcive,which might have something to do why it seemed quicker when cold low down. but now it the same when hot :D

to some up everyone with a fic check your firmware version and reflash if needed! it makes a hell of a difference, mine has been through 3 different tuners and was never picked up that it had the wrong firmware.

z110 = miss at transition

z107= stalls under vacuum

z104= perfict :D

bouncing afr issues when cruising/vacuum

are caused by the injector responce time being out and also the fuel trims being out so that part of the map would need tweaking, this is due to the ecus fighting each other trying to compensate to get to the closed loop 14.7 afr

Long cranking when hot start issues

Can be over come by setting the rpm table to start at 0 then inrich the cells at around absolute air preasure 4 cells should cover it for air preasure differences.