The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra single EMS questions

Guest dave_424

Guest dave_424

Hi, Im looking at what it would take to go single turbo on either a TT supra or a NA supra in regards of EMS?

What would be the minimal needed in regards of electronics to get it to function?

I know there are plug and play AEM units that are around the £1000-£1200, but are there many piggy back units that will get the job done for about 500whp?

Thanks

Dave

Guest dave_424

Im supraless at the moment :( Im young but still looking at what is takes to go single. Ive read pretty much every single turbo build log here but never really understood the EMS side of the builds.

Im sure that a BPU TT supra would be plenty fast for me, but I LOVE the sound of a big single. I wonder if a BPU TT supra with an external wastegate would give me my desired sound :)

Dave

Never seen a Supra with OEM turbos and an external wastegate. Not sure why you'd do that :)

Personally I'd never scrimp on the ECU. If there's one thing you want to get the best quality from, it's that. The Syvecs just makes so much sense when you figure in the extra features - a few will even save your engine if something goes wrong. I'd save up and buy that.

Im supraless at the moment :( Im young but still looking at what is takes to go single. Ive read pretty much every single turbo build log here but never really understood the EMS side of the builds.

Im sure that a BPU TT supra would be plenty fast for me, but I LOVE the sound of a big single. I wonder if a BPU TT supra with an external wastegate would give me my desired sound :)

Dave

Full BPU Supra, with Boostlogic exhaust and Syvecs will certainly keep you entertained.

Be careful about buying any odd ball ecu as you may struggle to find a competent mapper for it, and cheap ecu's nearly always have a powerful negative side, either poor software, lack of resolution (how accurately they control stuff), or no support network. It may also be hard to get it to do all you need, either now or in the future. Good ecu's are not cheap, but have excellent residual values, so you can buy them with some confidence you will get a good chunk of your dosh back if you sell it. Having a UK based agent, or distributor is very important, you don't want to be dealing with a company by e-mail when you are in a fix.

so you wouldnt need a restrictor ring and would build boost quicker with the free flow exhaust

Seems a hell of a lot of work to do that just to remove a restrictor ring. The sequential system builds boost quickly anyway so I still can't see the point. Unless you do it just for the noise I guess.