The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shopping for my first supra!! :-)

Bayden_uk

Ok so the supra has been my dream car since I was 15. I'm now 28 an think it's time to live my dream :-D

I love the aero tops and I'm noticing more and more popping up. Only problem is there all auto's.. Intact most of them are auto's! It's hard to find an aero top that's a manual yet alone a manual turbo. So... So far I've found auto aero tops but how much work would be needed to put in to get the beast all set an sorted to be a manual? I can live without the turbo and replace the engine at a later date I just realy do t like autos :-s

Is there anyone in the forum who's done any converting in any way or done a complete engin and gearbox swap who can give me any pointers or tips. I'm all for turning the supra into a project.

Cheers in advance

Ben

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.343984,-75.640911

First off mate.

Toyota only ever made aero autos. Unless you are talking about the usa. Any aero you see over here with a 5 or 6 speed box has been converted.

Second. Have you tried the supras auto box in manu mode? They work very well

Third. You are looking at about 1k to convert to a 5 speed, with another £2800 ish to Twin turbo it. If you let others do the work for you. If you want a 6 speed then 3k alone for the parts.

First off mate.

Toyota only ever made aero autos. Unless you are talking about the usa. Any aero you see over here with a 5 or 6 speed box has been converted.

Second. Have you tried the supras auto box in manu mode? They work very well

Third. You are looking at about 1k to convert to a 5 speed, with another £2800 ish to Twin turbo it. If you let others do the work for you. If you want a 6 speed then 3k alone for the parts.

As he said.

There are a few manual aeros but they didn't start out that way. I have often wondered why though.

Yes mate either buy one already converted to a manual, or leave yourself a bit of cash to do it after you've bought an auto one.

As mentioned the supra auto boxes are immense and faultless - only thing is its not quite the overall driving experience of a manual, but when you got the roof down who cares!! ;)

Get yourself into the projects section and check out Hodges build...will give you an idea of what's required and more!;)

will do mate :) cheers for the advice :) a TT would be nice but seems though there not alot of aero's knockin about ill just have to grab what i can. either way its all going to get converted and changed anywasye right :)

You are looking at about 1k to convert to a 5 speed, with another £2800 ish to Twin turbo it. If you let others do the work for you. If you want a 6 speed then 3k alone for the parts.

Why is the 6 speed so much more than the 5? Is the 5 speed greatly limited in what power it can take compared to the 6? Rarity of the 6 speed?

6 speeds are rare but will take ALOT more power, from what I've read a 5 speed can take tt power 300 odd bhp but it is strained and known to break,autos are good for between 4 - 450 bhp and a 6 speed can do upwards of 600. I think that's correct anyway!

Same opinion here, I much prefered the Smooth effortless change of the Auto......The Supra 6 speed box is awful!

It reminds me of when I chose the SMG11 gearbox on the E46 M3 over the Manual......very similar manual 6 speed as the Supra 6 speed box actually.....again I thought the Automatic SMG11 was miles better.

I was surprised and shocked as to How good the Auto on the Supra is ....considering its a 15yr old box its superb, its quick and smooth....Feels identical to the Auto box on our BMW 330d which is much newer technology

Edited by GINNO78 (see edit history)