The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK/EU - spec brakes strength

Mario

There has been made a set of wheels by a company which will fill the arches of a stock bodied supra completely, an arch roll for the rear arches is not uncommon with these wheels.

But this set of wheels when supplied, includes 3 mm spacers for the front axle,

when a buyer of this set of wheels would not use the included spacers up front, it won't fit over the uk/eu spec brakes.

But when installed with spacers up front, this particular set of wheels will stick out a bit from the front arches.

Before my question occured i did a search on this, but this is what im stuck with now,

option 1 is to grind off 3-5 mm of the caliper body, so there will be clearance to fit these wheels without spacers.

(This is not info which is recommended by the company, this is just an how did you fitted them without spacers up front performed by one or more owners of this set of wheels)

option 2 is to buy a new set of brakes from which the front calipers are slightly thinner so it will fit without modification.Or get the j-spec calipers back in place.

Well my question is:

Is it possible to safely use the uk/eu spec calipers when the caliper body is grinded down to fit the wheels without the spacers, we're talking about 3-5 mm of the body,

Thanks Mario

I've just been looking at the pics of the uk 4 pot fronts i rebuilt and think a couple

of mm is maybe doable but i'd not be keen on taking 5mm off them

I'd strip a caliper down and do some measuring to see what kind of wall thickness

there is between the base of the piston cylinder and the outer face

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have never heard of this happening but I would have thought that 3-5mm (certainly the second option) would affect the structural integrity of the caliper housing.

It appears only in this configuration, UK/EU spec brakes, whith this wheel package F18x10J and R17x11,5J.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?335026-Post-pics-of-CCW-Classics-on-your-dawg/page8

I never heard of it too, and it concerned me a little bit too much, that's why i posted this.

Common sense wise i would choose option 2, but on the other hand why do people grind their calipers, if it's 100% safe it safes me from buying a replacement/upgrade set of front brakes.

I've just been looking at the pics of the uk 4 pot fronts i rebuilt and think a couple

of mm is maybe doable but i'd not be keen on taking 5mm off them

I'd strip a caliper down and do some measuring to see what kind of wall thickness

there is between the base of the piston cylinder and the outer face

That would be very helpfull Thank you.

Yes the companies name is CCW, i mailed with tem a few months earlier and the spacer is still in the package, they're still offering this package for the JZA-80 models in these off-sets, it seems that the LM20's in these sizes won't have this caliper problem.

@ Chris Wilson, i think that that will be to complex, then it's easier to buy another brake set up for the front axle,

I actually hoped for someone that could tell me it's safe that would have been cheaper, all together with shipment fees import duties another brake setup just to fit these type of wheels is going to be an very expensive picture all together.

(i know it's stupid but i really like them in those off-sets and width's)

The concern is how close to the piston bore do you get when doing this and how much wall thickness

is left which i honestly dont know.

From looking at other pictures i've got i'd guess its getting pretty close.

There seems to be a lot of people that have done this though so

it would appear there okay but more by luck than judgement !!

I really don't get this. Why would you want to shave anything off the caliper when you can just add a 3mm spacer and be done with it? The spacer is so small it won't make any difference to the look, the spigot location or the handling.

Unless i'm somehow confusing 3mm with 3 inches?

I've found this pic Scott and it looks like the wheels stick out quite a lot and would

appear to be the wrong offset to fit a mkiv even if they cleared the brakes.

The thread on supraforums explains this and how members on there are having to

roll the front wings etc.

Small_0019.jpg

If i was buying custom made wheels for quite a few ££'s i'd want them to fit with no mods required or

in my eyes their not fit for purpose.

They don't look that great either in my opinion, what about the Kinesis 3 piece wheels

Ken Henderson mentions in the thread, i used to have a set of these on my first uk spec

with no fitting problems and the looked the beez neez :)

Fitting spacers and then having to roll the arch's is pretty poor

in my book.

Why don't you find a wheel that fits with out messing around.

If i was buying custom made wheels for quite a few ££'s i'd want them to fit with no mods required or

in my eyes their not fit for purpose.

They don't look that great either in my opinion, what about the Kinesis 3 piece wheels

Ken Henderson mentions in the thread, i used to have a set of these on my first uk spec

with no fitting problems and the looked the beez neez :)

Fitting spacers and then having to roll the arch's is pretty poor

in my book.

Why don't you find a wheel that fits with out messing around.

You are completely right, it is indeed not really what a customer espects from buying custom wheels that don't fit directly, but i really don't know exactly i really like them, ''once fitted'' and i think that i look past all the hassle to get them fitted the correct and safe way. (sometimes they tell that love makes people blind) I think that i'm blind right now.

I will have a look at the kinesis 3 piece wheels too. hope they do them in a 18 / 17 combo too.

I may be wrong but isn't a 10" front way too wide for a stock wing? its not the 3mm spacer that is the problem and more like the 1.5" extra in the width! The size of tyre for such a wide rim is also why the wheel is outside the arch. I would never contemplate doing anything to a caliper other than painting that is!

I may be wrong but isn't a 10" front way too wide for a stock wing? its not the 3mm spacer that is the problem and more like the 1.5" extra in the width! The size of tyre for such a wide rim is also why the wheel is outside the arch. I would never contemplate doing anything to a caliper other than painting that is!

I don't really know that, the tire selection i got from Dan from CCW is :

Kumho Escta XS - $975usd for the set

- 265/35/18

- 315/35/17

Nitto NT05 - $890usd for the set

- 265/35/18

- 315/35/17

On the US board some people run wider sizes up front, (285's for example) which could explain that.

But the caliper problem is already been ruled out, i'm not going to do that, even if it saves me a few dollars.