The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What kind of clutch are you using with your LWFW ?

TopSecret1

I'm using a RPS full face unspring disc with my 14lb Aluminum LWFW.

there is a very loud vibrating/chattering noise, like a metal againts metal sound when engaged in gear and accelerating.

I know that a light weight fly wheel will always make noise and be a bit loud... but I with mine it just doesn't sound right at all...

do I need a sprung hub disc? what kind are you guys using?

Only full race cars should consider an unsprung clutch plate(s), they cause harmonics in the drive train, cause severe shock loads, and are generally grabby and unpleasant. I also dislike aluminium flywheels on ANY engine. They need a steel friction disc bolting on, which will have a differential rate of expansion, and create a less than optimal path for heat to migrate. The friction faces sometimes come loose and often warp. Plus I trust a chrome molybdenum flywheel to not explode over any aluminium one. A single piece flywheel will not, in itself, make any noise at all. What it WON'T do is dampen harmonics in the rest of the drivetrain, like the stock dual mass unit does. Multi plate clutches will rattle, and so will gearbox internals ; propshafts can resonate and crown wheels and pinions chatter, given the right excitement.

so my best bet would be just to get an OEM flywheel? will my current RPS setup would be fine with it? I hope to god it will be!

I spent nearly $2000+ USD on parts since I was converting back from push to pull. I had a twin disc setup.

The flywheel maybe has 2000km on it along with all the other clutch components. Just had it done 6 weeks ago.

Edited by TopSecret1 (see edit history)

In general I though this:

Sprung disk + Lightweight Flywheel = suggested

Unsprung disk + OEM flywheel = recommended/good set-up without noise at idle

please correct if i'm wrong just based what I have gathered from research.

I'm sure it will work on a flywheel. I bought it from MVP motorsports and I told them it would be going with OEM flywheel. I later changed my mind for the Fidanza.

I mostly drive my car around town, and when the weather is good in the spring/summer I like to take it for some hard spirtied drivers and a few track days. Besides that nothing too crazy.

Ideally I though having the LWFW was beneficial for quicker rev's and acceleration. So if I just got a sprung disc would this not be a bad setup? I would feel a bit better giving up the disc instead of flywheel lol. Just spent too much money for everything.

My Supra will be staying BPU as well, currently BPU.

Edited by TopSecret1 (see edit history)

What's the torque output of your engine? An uprated stock clutch is best for normal driving and the odd track day up to about 410 ft lbs of torque. Clutches and gearboxes are rated in torque capacity, if you see an advert claiming "up to 500 HP" you know immediately you are dealing with a salesman, not an engineer, and you are looking at BS.

anyone here can chim in from their experience?

I'm not too sure what I'd like to do. Currently I don't like my setup. There is a rough metal againts metal vibration sound up to about 2800 rpm.

here is a video, if you listen 0:17 - 0:32, that's me accelerating on and off. Doesn't sound right, and doesn't feel right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrdhVTserIU&feature=channel_video_title

I don't mind the noise at idle with LWFW as long as it opperates normally. I'd ideally like to keep my LWFW I just hope the sprung hub disc will make every right.

by end of this year I will have my midpipe, top decat, and bbc installed. I pretty much have everything else.