The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t kits

Graham1984

This is not a what is best between TT and na-t thread but just out of interest how many people are running the whifbitz na-t kit on here I tried the search but not much came up (sorry if it was due to bad search wording) its just I was considering the kit due low mileage engine (under 50k) and due to not having to hunt a 2jzgte engine even though I am sure kerron could sort that out easy enough ;) though.

Over the last few weeks I have spent countless hours looking at all this stuff and I agree with everyone's advice about it being A) one time only buying B) Right 1st time. Also I have found only a few kits worth thinking about which seam to be Whifbitzs, mvp and I think it was a Daveh or something like that from boostwerx.

Like many I will probably go NA- TT rather than sell my car and buy a TT or turbo kit as I am somewhat attached and do not care about resale value as I have no intention to ever sell but would like people's view's on these kit's after they have had them on for a while and not a bunch of overexcited people who think they are the best thing since sliced bread and have had them for a few weeks nothing wrong with that mind as I love new stuff as well.

Did you buy a set kit or put together your own? I nearly went on the dark route of buying a cheapo kit which thankfully I didn't and saw sense. Just opinions really as I know the pro's and cons with both but in some regards the kit I can get when I want and not an engine when they appear plus low milleage car already and a cheaper engine to replace if it goes bang.

Either way it is nice to have options just need the cash.

I bought a XS-power cheep kit lol but I did bump into a few problems: for me the first problem was the manifold would not fit over the manifold studs on the block so I had to mill them out alittle to get it to fit over: 2nd problem was the downpipe needed slightly modifying to sit rite as it was hitting the manifold #6. 3rd problem was the cheep oil feed that Came with the kit decided to leak. 4th problem was the cheep 50mm wastegate decided to give me alot of boost problems so I needed a new brand name wastegate for safety.and 5th problem to date is I'm going lean on warm start up and I've been told a few times now it's because the lambda sensor is too far down the down pipe so it takes longer to get the correct heat it needs to function stright away. So that is now in the middle of getting a new adapter welded at the top of the downpipe next to the turbo. So hopfully that will sort that out.

But the kit has been on nearly a year now So only time will tell. But I am expecting the turbo to go next pmsl that's if the cheep manifold dosnt crack first lol ;-)

Yeah mine too pmsl I was about to strip it all off at one point lol but I think I'm either going to start buying good quality replacement parts for next year as I want more power or just go single on a TT engine. But whatever route I go I will be giving it to hodge to do itas I will just pull my hair out again lol

best thing is to do your research. theres more than enough informaiton here and other supra forums to give you an idea of power achievable with all types of set ups and turbo conversions.

the bottom end NA or TT will hold enough power to suit your typical needs up to 1000bhp. the main difference, is what supporting modifications your need to do this. with the NA, your spend alot more money making power you could with alot less on the TT, just because its designed for more power so its easier to reach. a good example of this, is injectors, the NA will need an upgrade to reach 400bhp where as the TT can hit 400 with stock injectors.

the whifbitz kit does look nice, quality parts and stuff you won't need to buy twice. i wish i'd gone that route, as i collected the parts myself. im ready to fit my kit in the next couple of weeks, i already regret not purchashing whiffins kit as i probably didn't save much money and got alot of second hand parts. :(

Also I have found only a few kits worth thinking about which seam to be Whifbitzs, mvp and I think it was a Daveh or something like that from boostwerx.

Powerhouse Racing also have a good reputation for the quality their kits. One thing to consider is that the US kits will have been developed to fit a LHD US Supra, before buying I would check with the supplier if they will fit a RHD Supra without modification.

I'd start by asking yourself what your budget is, to do a 'reliable' NA-T conversion is going to cost many £K's, the kit itself is just fraction of the overall cost, the supporting modification such as fueling, ECU/mapping, drivetrain, electronics, cooling, labour, etc. make up a big proportion of the overall conversion cost.

The key to a successful and reliable conversion IMO is to use quality parts that are fit for purpose, having all the supporting modifications necessary and not cutting any corners.

I bought a XS-power cheep kit lol but I did bump into a few problems: for me the first problem was the manifold would not fit over the manifold studs on the block so I had to mill them out alittle to get it to fit over: 2nd problem was the downpipe needed slightly modifying to sit rite as it was hitting the manifold #6. 3rd problem was the cheep oil feed that Came with the kit decided to leak. 4th problem was the cheep 50mm wastegate decided to give me alot of boost problems so I needed a new brand name wastegate for safety.and 5th problem to date is I'm going lean on warm start up and I've been told a few times now it's because the lambda sensor is too far down the down pipe so it takes longer to get the correct heat it needs to function stright away. So that is now in the middle of getting a new adapter welded at the top of the downpipe next to the turbo. So hopfully that will sort that out.

But the kit has been on nearly a year now So only time will tell. But I am expecting the turbo to go next pmsl that's if the cheep manifold dosnt crack first lol ;-)

Does the wideband controller not have a fast heat setting, or the ecu allow this option?

Nice to see someone rocking the whiffbitzs kit which I may consider as like others said it saves finding an engine and the power from the kit will be enough for me anyway for the time being. Makes a nice change to read about quality kit's rather than buy a TT. Will be interested to see the revised whiffbitzs NA-T kit though.

Do you ever think there will be a 100% kit ever that takes fueling upgrades,cooling, drivetrain etc into consideration with the optional add on bpu pack? I think at times that where the quality side of peoples kit's go downhill as after paying a few thousand for a good kit knowing paying more £££ to finish makes people scrimp imo.

Possible just somewhere that offers a full kit&fit price would would go down a treat and give you the full price to go turbo in one hit with no shock.

with boost logic kits you can buy upgrades with it like injectors. your paying for someone to peice it together. just a bit of time on the internet mate and your find whats needed.

you should also do upgrades to help cooling. ive bought an oil cooler. this isnt a requirement for an NA-T kit, nor do NA-T kit suppliers sell them with the kit, but something you should do. also a stronger clutch is another thing your need to look at, ECU as well. you can't get this items with kits. ive never seen them supplied with the kit, the distributor may sell them seperately though and may do you a deal.

you should talk to paul at whifbitz, tell him your power goals and he will give you a quote i imagine :)

Does the wideband controller not have a fast heat setting, or the ecu allow this option?
my aem wideband has an 0.5v output so I bought a harness for the e-manage but Ryan said I should just move the stock lambda closer to the turbo as it was half way down the down pipe. And the stock NA sensors are single wire and don't have a heated eliment. So hope it works when I get the downpipe back lol.