The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz -GE timing tensioner

FOSTA

Is this what the 2jz-GE tensioner looks like!

Just as I'm having problems trying to order one from toyota as I've spoke to 3 parts department staff and they give it a different name every time. One said idler pulley?

Has anybody got the part number for the tensioner?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Ah rite sorry bud I didn't relize it's the same tensioner! Just as I didn't want a cheep copy and hodge won't fit Cheep copy timing parts lol

Cheers for that dude I found it stright away on eBay I'm just dubble checking with hodge now ;-)

I didn't really want to get into this, but now I feel as if Jamie may be feeling he's paying OTT for something identical to the Ebay item. Just to send him to bed a happy chappie, here's a brand new genuine Toyota bearing assembly. The bracket casting is different, maybe the bearing itself in the Ebay one is a genuine Koyo, maybe it's not. With something like this, especially in an engine that may be contact type by way of a cam change, I myself would not risk an ebay item. It may be fine and dandy, it may be made of reconstituted canine cooking pans, who knows..?

Not a dig at you Chris by any means but Koyo is extensively used on the MKIV from the wheel bearings to the tensioners, Toyota just grind the name off but just because its off ebay doesn't always mean its a cheap chinese POS and shouldn't be fitted.

Believe it or not there are some honest sellers on there who sell GENUINE stuff for a more than reasonable price. The auction in question is the same vendor who I bought mine off more than a year ago I just did what Scott said and junked the belt for a gates. Now I am by no mean's someone who cheap's out on my cars but for small things like that you can't argue with the price for a quality part.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

I didn't really want to get into this, but now I feel as if Jamie may be feeling he's paying OTT for something identical to the Ebay item. Just to send him to bed a happy chappie, here's a brand new genuine Toyota bearing assembly. The bracket casting is different, maybe the bearing itself in the Ebay one is a genuine Koyo, maybe it's not. With something like this, especially in an engine that may be contact type by way of a cam change, I myself would not risk an ebay item. It may be fine and dandy, it may be made of reconstituted canine cooking pans, who knows..?

In fairness it was myself who slammed the ebay ones a few moons back and it was yourself who said the Ebay one was the same as OEM (Koyo). I wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole, and I haven't yet, if you hadn't recommended them :p

You just have to be *SO* careful, even Boeing managed to buy a load of knock off cap head bolts, so what chance has the guy in the street of knowing the real provenance of copy parts? Some Asian countries are so good at counterfeiting it takes the OE manufacturer to spot the differences. Tial wastegates, ball and roller element bearings, gaskets, Bosch components, etcetera etecetere etecetera have all been recently counterfeited. Of course the end user has, and should have, a choice, but if Hodge is building an engine for e customer he is very correct in covering his backside as well as possible by demanding OE parts. Anyway, I think the printing has dried on the "Toyota" box now Jamie, so it will go off in the morning ;)

In fairness it was myself who slammed the ebay ones a few moons back and it was yourself who said the Ebay one was the same as OEM (Koyo). I wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole, and I haven't yet, if you hadn't recommended them :p

I have seen NSK and Koyo bearings used in OE Toyota cam tensioners, it was not until I actually got a new genuine part out of an unopened box that I could see the casting of the OE one has not got that section milled off. Why would they do that if not to remove a casting ID that showed it as none genuine? Or am I being paranoid? :)

You just have to be *SO* careful, even Boeing managed to buy a load of knock off cap head bolts, so what chance has the guy in the street of knowing the real provenance of copy parts? Some Asian countries are so good at counterfeiting it takes the OE manufacturer to spot the differences. Tial wastegates, ball and roller element bearings, gaskets, Bosch components, etcetera etecetere etecetera have all been recently counterfeited. Of course the end user has, and should have, a choice, but if Hodge is building an engine for e customer he is very correct in covering his backside as well as possible by demanding OE parts. Anyway, I think the printing has dried on the "Toyota" box now Jamie, so it will go off in the morning ;)

Totally agree, we almost got caught out on the Chinese market as well. It was highlighted to us when Boeing were going through their "business". Pretty sure now standards have been put in place.

With regards to the bearing you sold the value is there given that it's a Toyota part, that's a non-issue as we know what those cost.

I just wanted to point out that it was myself who said to avoid the Ebay bearings and it was yourself that said that Koyo were the OEM supplier. Whether or not they are genuine Koyo remains to be seen but I would have no worries with buying one personally, now knowing that Koyo were the OEM supplier. I doubt there would be big money in knocking off Supra idler bearings ;)

I have seen NSK and Koyo bearings used in OE Toyota cam tensioners, it was not until I actually got a new genuine part out of an unopened box that I could see the casting of the OE one has not got that section milled off. Why would they do that if not to remove a casting ID that showed it as none genuine? Or am I being paranoid? :)

Good call with that one and probably very true although when I got mine it didn't have the milled off bit on the casting, it simply said Koyo. Technically speaking Toyota are guilty of the crime also with there 02 sensors. ;)

Cheers Chris. And I am a happy chappie lol ;-)

O2 sensors? Bear in mind the bearing itself and the casting of the pivot arm and its two bushings and hardened seat for the tensioner push rod may be from two totally different sources. Anyway, `tis up to the individual whether you pay a fortune for the stuff from over the Toyota counter, or something that works similarly, you hope, from A N Other source, and that's just how it should be, and I'm all for it.

Couldn't of said it better myself Chris and yes Toyota grind off the name Denso off there lambda sensors and they also have the Koyo name ground off the auxiliary belt tensioner. At least that's what I found when I bought new from them during my rebuild :).

Buyer is satisfied and everyone's happy now :D