The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommendations for Big Brake Kit?

Dan_Turism0

Hi Guys,

I'm going to be doing a GTE conversion on my SZ-R 6speed but as i'll be putting a single on the GTE lump keeping the stock Jspec brakes would be kind of suicidal, so i've decided to get the majority of the supporting mods done prior to me dropping the new engine in.

I'm looking for a Big Brake Kit that doesn't cost the earth but will provide adequate braking for around 600hp but must fit under 17" wheels as I will be keeping my Weds for winter wheels and using my 18's as summer ones, can anyone advise on what would work? I've seen a guy selling some Wilwood 6pots with 345mm discs however i've not seen anyone over here using these so am a little dubious (although I know the Wilwood's are recommended on MR2's).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Dan

Personally I'd go for the UK spec brakes with some Endless carbon/ceramic pads and decent fluid... assuming they'll fit under your wheels. They are more than up to the job. Had them on mine.

:yeahthat:

UK's are excellent brakes. But also check out Chris Wilson pads too, on to OEM discs.

UK's are excellent brakes. But also check out Chris Wilson pads too, on to OEM discs.

CW's pads are absolutely brilliant for the price, but I found the Endless were much harder wearing and bit a little harder too. However, they were over £300 an axle last time I bought some :blink:

I can do a race pad for the UK brakes, but expect dust and noise, although they will work fine form stone cold n the road. I can possibly do a good deal on a full UK brake set up, new, show me what prices I have to beat.

Beyond UK calipers and brakes I can do a floating AP front disc and alloy bell setup for the UK calipers, that will of course fit under stock 17 inch rims. It's pricey though.

K-Sport 8pot F and 4 pot R with 330mm discs. The advantages over the UK would be stopping power

That's not entirely true. More pots does not equal more stopping power. I can almost guarantee that K-Sports aren't any better than UK's when it comes to stopping power, the only advantage is less weight and probably a little bit more pedal feel at best.

That's my opinion anyway.

That's not entirely true. More pots does not equal more stopping power. I can almost guarantee that K-Sports aren't any better than UK's when it comes to stopping power, the only advantage is less weight and probably a little bit more pedal feel at best.

richardstock1 posted a review of these after coming from UK's.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?206375-K-Sport-Brake-Kits/page7

He was using 356mm discs though. These do not fit under 17" wheels.

Agreed.

Stopping power is governed by how much grip your tyres have.

Once you have overcome the grip then your not stopping any quicker.

The only improvement you could get is less fade and better pedal feel, and ofcourse the bingy looks but

your going to pay for it.

Approx £700 more for the 8 pot 4 pot K Sport kit, also how much are the pads when you need to replace them

along with the discs ?

I couldn't find a price for individual parts.

Also are they on the shelf like Toyota are ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

richardstock1 posted a review of these after coming from UK's.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?206375-K-Sport-Brake-Kits/page7

He was using 356mm discs though. These do not fit under 17" wheels.

I read that review and the main points were pedal feel and consistency which is to be expected plus his discs were larger and the pad compound maybe significantly different to what he was running on UK's so again there other variables to consider as well.

I've experience UK's on countless tracks over the years and not once felt there was a need for more braking power in that environment so a car purely for road use and the occasional track day id say UK's are more than enough. Again this is just my opinion. We all have different view's on things and see things differently :)