The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dont get ripped off by your tuner

Guest GirlRacer!

That man clearly loved his car, bad news, feel sorry for him.

This however, made me chuckle "It famously 'blew up' in the car park at the Nurburgring and the marshal famously said (in a German accent) "For you, ze Ring is over".

lol That made me chuckle to. bad news about the car though. there are some robbing wankers out there with no respect just greed!!

I've just had a good read through that thread, and don't really know what to think. On the one hand, I feel really sorry for Fuggles and have nothing but respect for how he's conducting himself.

On the other hand, he's been taken for a mug and doesn't seem particularly intent in getting justice. This may allow the tuner to go on and do something similar to another in the future :(

I've just had a good read through that thread, and don't really know what to think. On the one hand, I feel really sorry for Fuggles and have nothing but respect for how he's conducting himself.

On the other hand, he's been taken for a mug and doesn't seem particularly intent in getting justice. This may allow the tuner to go on and do something similar to another in the future :(

Maybe he's trying to stay calm because if he doesn't he knows he'll go find the tw@t and do time for him. Plus we all know the cops wont be able to do anything to help him other than give him a number to give to the insurance people, who will most likely not pay-out for half of what was stolen from him.

He will have to take up civil proceedings against the tuner and pay out more money in the process...he will likely be awarded compensation and the tuner will just not pay it as the courts dint enforce the payment!?!?

Lose lose! I would lose the plot!!!

Agreed Civil Legal action would be his only recourse.

Police are powerless in these situations. It would be virtually impossible to pursue a criminal case against the tuner for theft or fraud type offences unless there was documented evidence or he could locate bespoke parts from his car sold by the tuner without his permission. Even then he would have to prove they were his.

In reality he left this far too long. I think this type of issue needs to be addressed by the government in new liability legislation. Until then every time someone works on your car it's at your risk.

Maybe he's trying to stay calm because if he doesn't he knows he'll go find the tw@t and do time for him. Plus we all know the cops wont be able to do anything to help him other than give him a number to give to the insurance people, who will most likely not pay-out for half of what was stolen from him.

I wasn't really referring to violence. The victim has a very influential position on GTROC, he could get a petition going, or get members to email Sumo power stating their problem with them employing a known crook.

I for one wouldn't dream of leaving a car with Sumo, knowing this guy has access to it!

My advice to you all is to never leave your car with a tuner longer than you need to.

When you hand over the keys get a fixed date for when the car is ready, and call the tuner twice a week to see how things are coming along and if there are any surprises waiting for you.

Do NOT just give the car to them and suggest they do it when they have a spare moment, they wont have spare moments as everybody else sets dates when they want their car back.

The tuners will hate me for saying that, but its my one bit of golden advice when getting your car tuned. Set a short but reasonable date, dont let it slip by more than a couple of weeks and keep in contact and up to date on how much it has cost so far.

Good advice.

The reason why these cases are way too common is cause the law enforcement is weak and all too often these crooks get away with it.

Look at the Benefits cheat, the chances of being caught apparently are 1 in 39 - about 2.5%.

imi

I met John at TOTB once and he was a very nice chap. It's a real shame to see all his history and his work disappear due to one thieving weasel :( Can't believe Sumo have hired him, why would you risk your rep by giving someone who steals car parts a job :blink:

Now you know why we jump on suspicious traders very quickly around here, no matter how much grief we get off the fans.