The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whos got an NA lightweight flywheel?... ME :)

Noz

Right guys, cars booked in to have the clutch out and a stage 4 competition clutch and lightweight flywheel put in, ready for my NA-T conversion hopefully very very soon.

Anyone had any experience from the lighter flywheell, better response or quicker revving? I know its a limited modification but any opinions welcome.

The clutch had to be changed anyway as the stock ones just melt so thought I'd chuck it a light flywheel for good measure. Good or bad views?

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

A lightweight flywheel in itself makes no noise at all. What it does not do is dampen harmonics in the gearbox's internal gear train, and it's the GEARBOX internals you hear rattling.

Multi plate clutches are a separate issue, they rattle when disengaged as the plates are free to touch one another and the drive dogs on the clutch basket. A multi plate clutch on the OE dual mass flywheel will still rattle.

Oh, and when you see a when site that advertises clutches, prop shafts, diffs, drive shafts etcetera by how many BHP they can take, run away, it just shows they are full of *rap. Drive trains are rated in torque capacity at X RPM. BHP in itself means little. An F1 gearbox would probably fail instantly behind even a modest TT engine, as the gearbox has little real torque handling ability. One of my REAL pet hates is a site that rates drive train components by BHP, it just shouts bull****.

Edited by Chris Wilson
Typos, another pet hate :) (see edit history)

I've never seen this brand of lightweight flywheel listed as BHP product but I have seen ones which state they will give you. Transmission upgrades are only chasing the standard good condition engine rating anyway I expect.

As a goal of 400 I was just hoping for a tiny bit extra speed with the same bhp. Have you ever noticed a difference chris, even on other cars?

A lightweight flywheel won't change BHP or torque whatsoever, but it will reduce inertia, meaning the car will accelerate faster once launched. Anything to reduce inertia in the engine and drivetrain right through to the tyres themselves is a good thing, except it will make standing starts trickier and low speed cruising jerkier. You should notice a difference, but it's pointless if you then nail on huge heavy rims and cheap heavy tyres.

Oh, and when you see a wen site that asvertises clutches, prop shafts, diffs, drive shafts etcetera by how many BHP they can take, run away, it just shows they are full of *rap. Drive trains are rated in torque capacity at X RPM. BHP in itself means little. One of my REAL pet hates is a site that rates drive train components by BHP, it just shouts bull****.

And breath Chris :D

I've it the stage 4 and flywheel and I love it mate, the pickup is much quicker and once you get used to the bite point it drives just fine through town, the gear changes are nice and quick and it doesn't make ANY noise that the stock clutch doesn't, well worth it mate! :)

But I am running a W58 box if that's different to yours I don't know bud :)

thanks for your input mate, can't wait to get it fitted now for sure!

No problem :) excuse the initial bunny hop as you drive off for the first time but you quickly adapt and before long you don't notice the bite :) just a note tho I had to use the clip off my old release bearing as the one supplied doesn't fit :(

Am I correct in thinking your going to be using a similar kit to mine?t61 xs etc? If so mate I'm using the same stage 4 clutch on a w58. Skipped out on the flywheel being a tight git& all :D and still if I drive like a twat& plant my foot I can end up spinning all the way through to 3rd. Plenty of acceleration there with my A01B diff aswell.

Hope that helps a little.

I got a competiton clutch stageThreee street strip disk and its juddering reallyBad i got the flywheel skimmed and it all fitted by my garage and have did alot of miles and its stil the same espc in revrs gear any of you had this prob i thought it was just with padle clutches cheerz

Yeah heard they aint that great. Probably wait until mine starts giving me problems first & then get a better one :)

&I'm not sure what models of supra it comes off. But I was quite lucky to get a SZ-R with all the extras like the diff,abs etc. As far as it goes I think it's the lowest ratio diff for the supra. Had a quick search but couldn't find the thread with all explained. I'm sure someone with alot better knowledge will be along to correct& explain :)

Was just hoping it might help :) save money?! It seems good with acceleration... But I think I'd now probably of gone with a lightweight flywheel if I could do it again.

• 2 weeks later...