The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FT-86 - First Drive

Attero

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Toyota-FT-86-first-drive/259779/

Looks like the FT-86 is bound for June 2012 release. This could be quite a fun car and it's nice to see a manafacturer take the fun route, rather than the power route.

Production photos have also been released here: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/52756/toyota-ft-86-revealed-in-japan-market-brochure

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how long before a turbo version comes out ?

or

everybody gets bord of the pidly n/a and fits a big loopy turbo motor from an older scooby

I'm guessing they will make a turbo version of some sort eventually (maybe not until the FT-86 II) but the drive is all about fun and not power. I know more people who are interested in a fun car (light, great handling) than a powerful car.

Toyota have got exactly the right idea with this. It's relatively affordable to buy, it will be affordable to run (expect well over 45mpg on a run) and will be exploitable on the road. It will also be relatively green.

I should expect Subaru will be very anxious to Get their offering to market ASAP now, and I doubt the other manufacturers will be very far behind (Mazda could easily adapt the MX5 into a direct competitor). Surely Honda will get in on the act, and Nissan have to.

So it's pertty much a RWD Celica replacement then.

H.

Going by the name id say its there replacment for proberbly the best Toyota ever made!!! AE-86!

Iv been down my local dealer about one of these, they want £500 deposit to go on the waiting list, there are 3 being deliverd to most dealers in the UK, most dealers already have over 4 people on there list! Id be the 4th at mine if i went a head, but im not putting any thing down until they can confirm a price, speculation of these getting closer to 30k now is putting me off!! 20k was alot more apealing!.

Taken from: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24605

Final production version of Toyota Coupe leaked onto web

Toyota is leaking like a leaky thing over its new rear-drive coupe, the FT-86. This image, believed to be a copy of a promotional brochure for the new car is the second shot of the finished car after screengrabs of the much-awaited coupe leaked onto the internet last week (see image below).

The car (which almost certainly won't be called FT-86) will get its official unveiling at the Tokyo motor show later this month before going on sale in the UK by the middle of next year.

And, if recent first drives of prototypes (hurried to press following the leaked details of the new car) are anything to go by, the new Toyota sounds like it's going to be quite a hoot.

Its 2.0-litre, Subaru-developed, naturally aspirated flat-four makes 197bhp and around 150lb ft with the help of Toyota's own direct-injection tech. While these aren't hypersonic figures, the car weighs just 1280kg, so it should be quick enough. Besides, Toyota is keen to emphasise that this will be a car that doesn't need power to be fun.

With a six-speed manual gearbox, rear-wheel drive, an LSD and an ESP system that can be completely switched off, it sounds as if the early signs are more than promising... let's hope they deliver...

Toyota_FT-86_3-L.jpg

Toyota_FT-86_-L.jpg

Toyota_FT-86_1-L.jpg