The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU first impressions

Samurai 20V

Guys,

After 2 days of full 1.2 bar, I have to say, I am in awe of the Supra...

It is absolutely fabulous to drive, the pull of the car at this boost level is unbelievable..:D

It kicks in so hard when that 2nd turbo comes to life, and it keeps going till redline.. The low end spool and response has improved as well..

And to think this is such old technology on this car.. A couple of tiny blowers, making such brute force.

I know that there are cars running much higher BHP than this but for me its the fastest I have driven, I really feel like I am running out of road to slow the car down.. I shudder to think what 600hp car must feel like, let alone a 1000hp plus one..

I tuned the offset a bit more as Scott M suggested, she's holding 1.15 - 1.19bar.. AFR's are low 11's now..

I am gonna finish the EBC setup tomorrow, give the car some TLC and then drive it some more!

The only con I can see is the fuel consumption, but nobody buys a Supra for its economy right? Thats what the Prius is for..:p

My advice to all those running stock cars, boost up is the way to go..

All in all, I am a happy Supra owner..

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

Thats for sure.. The difference from stock is just massive.. I turned the boost down to 0.9bar, felt like the car was not moving..

Ah no way, that's what I'm running at the mo'. Do you notice a lot of difference low down, or is it mainly when the 2nd turbo comes online?

Can't wait to get mine fitted :)

I didn't have the comparison...had the car taken to BPU before I picked it up from Jurgen!:)

Well, I have been driving the car for 6 months stock, and the smile on my face now is way bigger than the day I bought it!

Ah no way, that's what I'm running at the mo'. Do you notice a lot of difference low down, or is it mainly when the 2nd turbo comes online?

Can't wait to get mine fitted :)

There is a difference low down, response is better, I think the EBC and its trickery makes the difference with the spool.. Boost is around 0.8bar...

After 4000rpm is where the real fun starts.

I never seen stock power with my car but going from a MBC to an EBC brought about a similar revelation at the switchover, all thanks to the gain feature.

Check it out

A Mines ECU would just add to that mid power BTW :)

did you ever get your car dyno'd bud? wondered what the difference would have been?

I never seen stock power with my car but going from a MBC to an EBC brought about a similar revelation at the switchover, all thanks to the gain feature.

Check it out

A Mines ECU would just add to that mid power BTW :)

Yeah, Mines is only 200kms drive from my house..Tempting..

The only issue is taking the car back to SA, fuel is 95 octane... Mines will be no good for that..

I rather save up and map the car with the single turbo at the same go!

did you ever get your car dyno'd bud? wondered what the difference would have been?

Na never did it bud. It was the fastest BPU I have been in/driven though. I even pulled (albeit slowly) from Chris with his Auto mines when I was only seeing 0.9-1.0bar (small RR) and he was set to 1.1bar.

The guy who bought my Mines put up comparison between it and stock and the results are fantastic for it....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?253945-Finally-fitted-my-mines-ecu-(dyno-results-with-printout)

Yeah, Mines is only 200kms drive from my house..Tempting..

The only issue is taking the car back to SA, fuel is 95 octane... Mines will be no good for that..

I rather save up and map the car with the single turbo at the same go!

I know what you are saying but I was thinking more fun in Japan than a permanent fixture. I wouldn't buy new, 2nd hand they come up for reasonable money and they are plug and play. You would get your money straight back when it came time to selling up too :)

It's a good bit of kit ;)

I know what you are saying but I was thinking more fun in Japan than a permanent fixture. I wouldn't buy new, 2nd hand they come up for reasonable money and they are plug and play. You would get your money straight back when it came time to selling up too :)

It's a good bit of kit ;)

Mmmm.. Thats good thinking.. There is talk of 99 octane being realeased in SA, it may come in handy then...

I have said it loads of times, there is A LOT to be said for a BPU Supra .... I know i wished i was still BPU a couple of times last year lol :D

Wise words Jamesy..

My car is running at around 1bar with an RR in, but I'm still trying to justify the expense of an EBC. Would it be worth it, or would the turbos remain more reliable at the slightly lower boost levels?

It's no slouch even at that level either!

For sure, at 1 bar there is a massive difference from stock..

With any level of raised boost there is no guarentee of longevity of the turbos, 1.2bar is kind of the accepted limit, it depends on each car's condition.

I find the difference between 1bar and 1.2bar noticeable, the kick is a bit more intense, my wife even could tell the diff... The fuelling moved from AFR in the 10's to the 11's, which should equal the increase in power..

There some decent EBC's for lower prices, I went with the HKS unit as I got a good deal for it..

My car is running at around 1bar with an RR in, but I'm still trying to justify the expense of an EBC. Would it be worth it, or would the turbos remain more reliable at the slightly lower boost levels?

It's no slouch even at that level either!

I got a brand new HKS EVC-S for £270 from someone on here that bought it then went for a piggyback ECU instead, so hopefully it'll be worth the cost once fitted. The way I see it is it cost less than 3 tanks of fuel.

Nope :(

Being a puss and waiting for a guide with pictures on exactly how to do it and not cock it up. Also need to fit my FCD at the same time :D

comon man the bad weather will be here....... ahh i get ya next year then :D

If you cant do it take it ash or Keron and will be done in 30 mins ;)

Nope :(

Being a puss and waiting for a guide with pictures on exactly how to do it and not cock it up. Also need to fit my FCD at the same time :D

First cat and pipe off, second cat and pipe off with it.

Add first decat pipe. Scratch yourself

Fit optional AFR probe.

Check Restrictor Ring

Bolt up second decat pipe.

Bolt up exhaust.

Start up and check. Done.

FCD --> Buy FCD, wire in as per instructions. Scratch yourself

Come back and start a 600 page thread on going single.