The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID advice for a NOOB

Ross C

Hi guys,

Ive got a 94 jspec with plastic headlights and want to put HIDs in it. Having used the search button a fair bit im still quite confused as to what i need.

on the actual headlight cover it says HB3 infront of the high beam and HB4 infront of the dipped beam.

ive already bought the HB3s at 6000k so is it just a simple case of buying HB4s for the dipped beam??

ive also bought some LEDs for the sidelights to match the HID look so im hoping that other members can tell me what i need to do or if im wrong??

Thanks, Ross

I can never remember, have you seen this thread.

The 9006J and 9005J makes it more confusing .

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?142251-Which-headlight-bulbs-for-JSpec-and-UK-Spec&highlight=hb3

If you look further into the thread it looks like you need 2 HB3 kits for the J spec headlights, a previous group buy looks like it confirms this.

I can never remember, have you seen this thread.

The 9006J and 9005J makes it more confusing .

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?142251-Which-headlight-bulbs-for-JSpec-and-UK-Spec&highlight=hb3

If you look further into the thread it looks like you need 2 HB3 kits for the J spec headlights, a previous group buy looks like it confirms this.

cheers mate. i had read it but never quite understood what it was saying but i get it now. need to trim one set of the HB3s for it to fit. just need to fork out another £40 for a second set

Hang onto the old bulbs. You'll need to swap those over to pass the MOT. Their pretty hot about any lights with a blue tint. Instant epic fail. The other guideline to fit HIDs is a car should have auto leveling and headlight washers.

I was just going to say the same thing :) Prepare to swap to normal bulbs for MOT or risk automatic failure.

Actually it's worse than that. Hot Fuzz will pull you over and give you a verbal ticking off, possibly a few points and a £60 contribution to solve the national debt crisis. Most car accessory shops stopped selling HID kits citing them as illegal (aka not worth the grief). I got away with it as being a UK Spec it had levelling headlights (albeit not auto) and headlight washers. Also made sure mine were the whiter shade of white.

Actually it's worse than that. Hot Fuzz will pull you over and give you a verbal ticking off, possibly a few points and a £60 contribution to solve the national debt crisis. Most car accessory shops stopped selling HID kits citing them as illegal (aka not worth the grief). I got away with it as being a UK Spec it had levelling headlights (albeit not auto) and headlight washers. Also made sure mine were the whiter shade of white.

Didn't know you will get pulled over but I think that is reasonable considering some of the blue/purple 100W kits people are running in their non projector headlights. It just blinds you especially when it is getting dark earlier now.

I got away with it as being a UK Spec it had levelling headlights (albeit not auto) and headlight washers.

Im surprised you did with the way the UK Spec's project the light from a HID bulb!

Even though I'm against putting HID's into stock projectors, one thing that gets me is a lot of the older car's which came with HID's didn't always come with headlamps washers or auto leveling headlamps so I don't see how then can enforce it on anything but newer cars anyway.

You sure on the points front? I am pretty sure they can't give you points.

As soon as they put a law in I can see kits coming out to make them 100% legal.

Im surprised you did with the way the UK Spec's project the light from a HID bulb!

Even though I'm against putting HID's into stock projectors, one thing that gets me is a lot of the older car's which came with HID's didn't always come with headlamps washers or auto leveling headlamps so I don't see how then can enforce it on anything but newer cars anyway.

My old 53 Plate 350Z import had factory Xenons, no headlight washers and no self leveller. I'm also pretty sure my mums TT doesn't have automatic levelling lights although it does have washers, that's an X Plate.

have a look at this video i did in 2010.

Look at the difference on HID's to standards on J Spec lights. 2:42 on the video. I have them and Adam had standards at the time. Big difference. I have never been pulled for them but do get flashed from oncoming cars occasionally :innocent:

My MOT tester laughed at me :D

http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/colour-chart.php

just looked at this. it obviously doesnt say anything about washers and stuff, just the colour output, so i might be ok a only 6000k but i think 4300-5000k would have been safer

Quite sure. A mate afflicted with OCD subscribes to a MOT testers magazine. I was only reading it last Monday having just failed MOT for having PIAA LED sidelights with a slight blue tint. Even had an article about HIDs with washers and auto levelling being a requirement. So I've gotten away with by the skin of my teeth mainly because everybody including MOT testers and the Hot Fuzz on a learning curve. HIDs are becoming a dazzling issue. Be careful out there.

Guest Supra_boy

The brighter you go, the more blue tint you get. 6k is O.k as I sell 6k kits and Ive got them on all my cars and don't really have any problems with the old bill AS LONG AS they are set to the correct height so that your not lighting up half the sky. When I sell kits and the customer wants them fitted, I always adjust the headlights to a sensible height if they have not got the electronic levelers/adjusters.

have a look at this video i did in 2010.

Look at the difference on HID's to standards on J Spec lights. 2:42 on the video. I have them and Adam had standards at the time. Big difference. I have never been pulled for them but do get flashed from oncoming cars occasionally :innocent:

My MOT tester laughed at me :D

that is a very suprising difference. it looks like full beams rather than dipps. what colour are yours?