The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to supras much advise needed

Guest Razorback

Guest Razorback

Hi all as stated im new to these lovely machines ive been driving a jap 93 mitsubishi GTO TT :baa: and its about to be sold so im on the look out for a nice supra it will have to be a manual N/A as my funds will not stretch to a TT.

1. what sort of BHP can you take an N/A to as 220 just wont cut it for me :D

2. can anyone recomend good importers /dealers in south yorkshire.

3. Is there any common faults on Manual n/a's

4. Whats the engine like to work on the GTO was feckin horrible you needed hands like mr elastic to get to various parts of the engine bay even a plug change was a pain in the butt

Thanks for any help

Russ:flame Dev

Hi and welcome.

1. i think 235 BHP is quite achievable. with a Decat (both cats out) perfromance exhaust system, induction kit & using Optimax. After that it gets very exspensive although you can get a Turbo kit for NA but that aint cheap either if your after Big BHP save and get a TT. Insurance is ahrdly any different and in most cases cheaper!! :eek:

2. sorry no ideas but someone will be able to help you

3. I cant really answer this either but had my NA Manual for a Year and havent had one single problem! touch wood

4. I dont do the work myself apart from oil change and that was easy lol I do knwo to change the plugs on a NA is harder then on a TT

Guest Razorback

Thanks bud TT is not an option unfortunately as i wanna buy the car outright no finance. want i ment by BHP increase is it has to be capable of tanning the scooby gang i loved destroying them in the GTO and i cant go back to not being able to blow at least a few of them away so im talking around 280-300bhp is this not realistic without spending over 2 grand.

More questions

1. Can you get lightweight uprated pulleys for the N/A

2. Superchips ?are they availble good or bad idea

3. FSE Boost valves ? do they do them for the supra again good or bad

cheers

Russ

Well i can tell ya now, my NA supe totally stock is dead even with a WRX scooby ;) 280 - 300 for elss then £2000 no chance.

If your looking to buy car outright, there seems to be a overlap in prices for NA's and TT's. I have seen TT's for around 9,000 obviously slightly older 93 - 96. How much are you looking to get a NA for...if you dont mind me asking. And are you looking for totally standard or maybe nice to have rims, suttle body kit. You checked out auto trader website at all, to have a look. have to admit aint looked on there to see whats about for bout a month!

1. I have no idea

2. Superchips are not avaliable for the supra, but you can buy a TOM's ECU for the NA ive heard prices floating about of a £1000 for that :blink:

3. Have no idea myself

I can tell you we have a 260 BHP NA supra on the board here i have no idea of cost spent on getting it too that.

the 280BHP - 300BHP u wana get for under £2000 would prob be the difference in price for a NA - TT both in good condition. Then for under £2000 again on TT you can get up to around 380 - 400BHP. :devil:

Im in same boat as u,towards power, i just cant decide whether to invest in my NA or get a TT. I have been intersted in Turbo kit for the NA though.

I dont know if you have driven a NA manual yet but the Gear box is naturally clunky, just a warning icnase you jump in one and expect it perfectly smooth :thumbs: The NA manual gearbox is very strong. In US many NA's have turbo kits on.

Check out http://www.supraforums.com to look at the threads on them

Originally posted by Razorback

want i ment by BHP increase is it has to be capable of tanning the scooby gang i loved destroying them in the GTO and i cant go back to not being able to blow at least a few of them away so im talking around 280-300bhp is this not realistic without spending over 2 grand.

NO!

But what are you looking to spend on buying an NA?

I know of three very good TT supra's that have been purchased for sub £8K

Approx 300bhp as standard and only a little more expensive to run........

BTW there are not really any 'common' faults with either the NA or TT.

I think the supra is alot easier to work on, certainly changing plugs is straight forward............

If you want more than say 15 to 20 BHP more from an N/A Supra you will spend FAR FAR more than the price difference between an N/A and a TT. I had a beautiful 94 TT auto in the other day that the customer was going to be selling shortly, and he was talking 6K. In the trade they are now between 4.5 and 5K for early autos in pretty good nick. If you want cheap performance buy a Skyline GTS-t. I just bought 2, one for modding,the other a beautiful 20,000 mile, mint automatic. as a dail;y driver, the auto is a dream to drive, quite eye opening, and they can easiliy be modded. My wild manual one will be making 600 bhp very soon, on decent fuel, and 500 on pump fuel, and they weigh a LOT less than a TT Supra, and are cheap as chips to buy. Just an alternative to consider, but getting 500 BHP will cost a LOT more 2K.

Guest Razorback

First off i want to spend 6k on the car then i have 2k spare for kit,wheels or mods. I want a manual car for one reason only DRIFT im looking to enter into the amature ukd1 championships next season. The only manual mkiv supras ive seen at 6k are N/A's and to be honest every auto TT ive seen has been over that price too between 8 and 9 and 9 - 12k for maunal at least am i just looking in the wrong places ? because ive heard someone local to me bought a veilside kitted manual tt for 7 but i thought that it was a load of bullshit.

I had thought about a skyline gtst but they just dont look as good as a nice mkiv supra with a little kit on

A NA Supe is stock at 220 bhp, however it is geared differently to a TT and is really really quick low down. Upto 60 mph a manual NA can easily keep up with a TT. I chose a NA as I wanted a manual box and couldnt justify the £13 for a 6 speed TT. Round corners and bendy B roads a manual NA will be just as quick as an auto TT. Naturally given the choice I would have a 6 speed TT but they dont exsist at £9K (price I got mine)

Now check out Torque Developments, the UKs official distributor for HKS. The following HKS mods with power gains for a NA are quoted:

HKS exhaust:+9 bhp

HKS de-cat: +8 bhp

oops pressed send

start again

HKS exhaust +9 bhp

HKS decat +8 bhp

HKS induction +15 bhp

total +32 bhp

stock 220 bhp

= 252 BHP :D :D

for about a grand

My car sure feels a hell of a lot quicker and has a lot more low down torque

Torque developments site: http://www.tdi-plc.com/toyota_supraMk4.html#TOYOTA%20SUPRA%201994%20on%20(JZA80)%20WITH%202JZ-GE%20ENGINE%20(NON-TURBO)

Guest Razorback

Thanks alot bud ive used torque developments in the past for a HKS system for the GTO so i would definately use them again so now just to find a nice manual N/A for 6k

Originally posted by Razorback

First off i want to spend 6k on the car then i have 2k spare for kit,wheels or mods. I want a manual car for one reason only DRIFT im looking to enter into the amature ukd1 championships next season.

is a LSD important for Drifting? its just that i 'think' the SZ-R's have them whereas regular sz's don't.

A car with a LSD (or certainly one when it left the factory!) can be identified from the chassis plate.

Guest Razorback

It will go into drift better without the LSD but saying that the LSD will make it more controllable to correct from drift if that makes sense so it doesnt really matter i think its mainly down to personal driving style of which you find easier

Russ

Hi Razorback

As other have said, if you want 'fast' don't buy a N/A. The difference in price between an N/A and a TT is a lot smaller than the the money you would have to spend on a N/A to make it anywhere near the power of a stock TT.

I bought a mechanically stock*, 74000 mile, Bomex kitted, TT auto in March last year from a trader. I spent around £400 on a delimiter, FCD and decat and it's making over 350 BHP at the hubs. How much would it cost to get a N/A to that kind of power? £4000?

*It even still had the 112mph limiter

Having driven an auto NA and a manual TT, both cars are great fun. I cannot fault the autobox on the NA so would imagine the TT auto is no different (except a whole lot faster).

Russ, if you are after lots of power buy a TT. Keith and I have a TT and NA between us. Having driven Keiths TT on several occasions there is no comparison between the cars when it comes to accelaration. The NA's are difficult to mod and coming even close to the TT stock power is going to be costly. Not only that, insuring it is a PITA too.

I usually stick up for the NAs, but if power's what you want an NA isn't the car for you.

Those power increases from a decat/induction on an NA are just way too optimistic. Aside from anything, changing the induction on the NA usually results in a *drop* in power!

An SZ-R is probably going to be out of his price range, and an SZ will require money spending on it to make it suitable for drifting.

I still say a 200. There's a good reason that they're the mainstay of drifting in Japan.

Must admit TDis quote of +15bhp on the HKS induction seems high, however I have tried the car with the HKS induction off and the car definatley is slower at 4500 rpm with a stock air box.

The mod that made the biggest difference was the de-cat : INSTANT surge of power :)

I have driven an auto TT and of course they are faster than an NA.

But a manual NA will keep up at low gear do to its different gearing to around 60mph, then the TT will fly past

No matter how you drive and what buttons you press, a manual gearbox is more controllable than an auto.

Thats why a 94 model manual 6 speed TT will sell for £13,000 compared to £8,000 for an 94 TT auto.

:cool:

Hi mate, if your looking for cheap power, have you considered N2o, you can get a kit for around £500/£600, make it a 100 shot (100 bhp + standard BHP), and you wont be far off the power of a TT, this would have to be put through a progressive controller, or you could make it cheaper without the controller, but wouldnt advise on any more than 75 shot(75 BHP + standard BHP).

Obviously you only have that power while you have good compression in the bottle, but if its only for drift days, might be another option for you...... ;)

If you're looking to buy a car for drifting then an N/A Supra would be an excellent choice IMO. The Supra is a very easy car to drift, it has good weight balance front to back and it has a long wheel base and good power to weight ratio.

You could go for a 200SX as mentioned already but everyone is going that route. With a Supra you'd stand out from the crowd !

230bhp would be more than enough, just fit some less grippy tyres on the back and you're laughing !

I have driven a NA 6-speed and they are good cars, 1st and 2nd gear are nicely close together and would make for good drifting ratios.