The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which ECU or piggyback should I get?

downimpact

Looking fo some advice of what to get ECU wise. I don't understand much about them but ideally would want something appropriate.

Car - currently BPU, don't have any plans to go single. Ideally want to keep relaibility, while extracting the most I sensibly can out of BPU.

Driving - will be track focused.

Couple of suggestions have been the e-manage blue and ultimate, syvec ecu

I currently don't have a boost controller, think I read this can be managed by ECU? and would like to put in water injection at some point.

Money wise something reasonable, syvec would probably be the top, but I wonder whether this is like having a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I would say Syvecs - but realistically, you'd be best just getting a good boost controller if you've zero plans to go big power. Spend £300 on a good one, as opposed to £2500 for the Syvecs, harness, fitting and mapping. You'll have more power with the Syvecs, but is it £2200 worth? Not for me, no.

Syvecs is definitely a sledgehammer to crack a nut.... but what a sledgehammer. If you have the money to do it then I don't see any negatives to fitting it. Your car will run better, safer and everything will be controlled via the ECU. You can have traction control, boost control, launch control, etc all in the one neat little package.

The money you could potentially spend getting all those little bits and bobs done would add up quite quickly.

Your car will also be future proof, should you ever change your mind about going single, with probably the biggest spend towards going single already covered.

Syvecs or Motec. Check out prices and re-sale value. Both will be overkill, but both will allow you to get the absolute most out of a de catted car, maybe add cams later. By adding some timing and removing some fuel IN THE RIGHT PLACES, AT THE RIGHT BOOST, you will get substantial gains. A signal fudger won't hack it the same way, it hasn't got enough resolution (mapping points). Either will allow you to do all sorts of cool things, like logging, GPS timing, traction control, safety cuts, etcetera. If you want if fitted and you will never want to "play" with it, or add functions youself, the Syvecs S6 will do everything, but IMHO the software is not very intuitive. If want to play with it yourself, and want easy to use software and fantastic support 24 hours a day, the Motec is perhaps better, but you pay a premium for add ons that may be free with the Syvecs. Download both lots of software (free to download and free updates for both) and see what you think if you intend to play with it yourself. I intend trying an S8 soon, but I am very very happy with my two Motec ecus and their software for mapping and data interpretation. You MUST think now about the future, buy something less than you MAY need will be frustrating and costly in the long term. Also consider who is near to you that is expert at mapping the chosen system, and re-mapping should you want to add or change anything. I may be persuaded to sell my M600 with nice options enabled, and a plug and play loom pro adaptor for the MKIV TT, but I would want good money, I was going to use it for a race car engine next year.

As already said, if you can afford it a standalone ECU would be the best option, but it's a lot of money for relatively small gains with the stock turbos.

430hp (flywheel) is around the maximum you'll get running the stock j-spec turbos, along with higher lift/longer duration cams and ECU (standalone or piggyback).

I agree with the Johnny G's comments earlier, in terms of value for money vs performance I'd just fit a good quality electronic boost controller - I'd recommend either the Blitz i-color or HKS EVC VI - this will enable you to maximise boost through all gears and make a significant difference to how quickly the turbos spool up.

Thanks for the answers, looks very much one sided with the way to go.

To answer a couple of questions, realistically I'm not going to be changing settings myself as I wont have the knowledge so I'll just need it set up.

I also suspect I have lean fueling issues as per another thread, so want something to sort this out in terms of mappable ECU and so there is no problem in turbo transition.

Future proofing does make sense e.g. if the turbos let go, balancing that up against cost. Still I guess if you invest in Syvecs it will always retain a reasonable value.

You can have traction control, boost control, launch control, etc all in the one neat little package.

Does the ECU manage to control all these using stock signals or will I need to purchase additional sensors etc? Will the mapper set all this up as standard or would you need to specify that you wanted a launch control function set up etc...

Edited by downimpact (see edit history)

Sounds like Syvecs will offer the best value. I have never driven a stock sequential TT on one, I presume Ryan has done some of these before, but I suspect the Syvecs ecu on Supra MKIV's is more usually linked to a single turbo, or two aftermarket turbos in parallel. I know Motecs have been used to run sequential stock VVTi manuals, so I am sure it is entirely possible. Is your car a manual? If not there may be issues as you may still need the stock ecu fitted to control the auto box electronics. Traction control and launch control will need feedback from your ABS sensors, which are analogue, I know Ryan uses some neat little analogue to digital converters, which are fairly inexpensive, as I bought some off him. They are purely a wiring excercise to fit. I am pretty sure the stock ABS will share its sensors with these devices. Traction control uses these same sensors, so no issues there. Boost control may need a different boost control solenoid, again, trivial to fit and inexpensive. You need to ask Ryan if there are any issues with the S6 running the sequential system, and if the mapping is fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the answers, looks very much one sided with the way to go.

To answer a couple of questions, realistically I'm not going to be changing settings myself as I wont have the knowledge so I'll just need it set up.

I also suspect I have lean fueling issues as per another thread, so want something to sort this out in terms of mappable ECU and so there is no problem in turbo transition.

Future proofing does make sense e.g. if the turbos let go, balancing that up against cost. Still I guess if you invest in Syvecs it will always retain a reasonable value.

Does the ECU manage to control all these using stock signals or will I need to purchase additional sensors etc? Will the mapper set all this up as standard or would you need to specify that you wanted a launch control function set up etc...

There will be a few additional costs such as boost sensors, map sensors, switches etc but there aren't any large costs IMO. The mapper will need to set up the traction control properly IIRC, you will need to let them know exactly what you want. They will charge a little extra but it won't be a silly amount. In the grand scale of things it would be silly not to go with the works for the sake of £100-200.