The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bumper refurb

neo2810

I parked a little too eagerly the other day and cracked my front bumper on a high curb. Since my sideskirts are in a mess paint wise at the front, and one of them cracked, I'm going to take both sides and bumper off on Saturday and do a fibreglass repair on both, and then respray.

I'm fine with the repair, that should be simple but my question is, how easy is it to blend the respray over the repaired section, or would it be better to respray the whole bumper (considering I have very little painting experience so the thought of doing the whole bumper is slightly daunting). Also, on the skirts, only the base coat has been rubbed off over time on the front ends so do I need to prime that area, or just apply fresh base and lacquer (will it bond to the old primer)? I only have a 400ml can of 202 so would that be enough for a couple of coats on the bumper and skirts?

Depends how fussy you are going to be about it I suppose amigo, but I would imagine that blending it so that it's not obvious is going to be a fair bit more difficult than if you painted the whole thing. Imo, if you want a decent finish the likelihood of getting it with a diy using a rattle can is remote. Have you got access to a booth/oven?