The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refurbishing an anodised alloy wheel lip

Jamesy

Hey guys

Im struggling with this one - ive managed to get some water mark damaged UNDER the anodised layer of my new SSR SP1 alloys :cry:

There is no damaged to the outside layer of the lip, and its all smooth to touch, but i cant get the marks off...

...I have been recomended trying Meguiars scratch x on supraforums but im unsure.

What can i do people? Would it be easier to just get the lip re-done in polished finished rather than anodised?

HeLp :D

any better pics? if its UNDER the layer I cant see how scratch X will help as its a mild cutting compound. Last thing you want is to start removing the adonised finish.

best pic i have - will do a better one tonight.... yeah i even tried autosol metal cleaner to remove it when it first happened and that didnt help - "if" scratch-x is similar it prob wont work either

Hello mate, not nice to hear :(

Dont use scratch x mate,not for something like that. If the problem is under the anodised layer then i hate to say it but it wont polish out. How old are the wheels now, is there any warranty remaining? Warranty regarding wheels is a very difficult approach as once they are used, there is never any proof how they have been maintained, not saying for a second they are not looked after but you know what i mean. But try it as a possible option, doesnt hurt to ask. I had a problem with a small area of black chrome flaking off my sa70's and they were religiously looked after but it would have meant a new wheel to rectify it due to the finish. Personally i would look to have them all done in a polished finish and then lacquered to protect them. What i would certainly do is call Ibrar as he will very much be in the know with wheels like this and see what he would recommend. And get them off the car as soon as you can for winter before the salt starts being chucked down.

Hello mate, not nice to hear :(

Dont use scratch x mate,not for something like that. If the problem is under the anodised layer then i hate to say it but it wont polish out. How old are the wheels now, is there any warranty remaining? Warranty regarding wheels is a very difficult approach as once they are used, there is never any proof how they have been maintained, not saying for a second they are not looked after but you know what i mean. But try it as a possible option, doesnt hurt to ask. I had a problem with a small area of black chrome flaking off my sa70's and they were religiously looked after but it would have meant a new wheel to rectify it due to the finish. Personally i would look to have them all done in a polished finish and then lacquered to protect them. What i would certainly do is call Ibrar as he will very much be in the know with wheels like this and see what he would recommend. And get them off the car as soon as you can for winter before the salt starts being chucked down.

Thanks Christian

To be totally honest mate it is actually my fault - i left the wheels on when i first got them in Dec for 1 week too long and it snowed - i got the snow off within a day but there were tiny TINY little water marks.... i could just about live with this - i had saved up and waited 4 months for these (my dream wheels) to arrive!!

Then for some STUPID reason while cleaning the car one wkend i decided to spray AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner on them :faint: .... when i cleaned it all off the chemicals in the clenaer had seeped through the little water marks and caused a fairly large smeered effect over a part of the lip, on both the rears .....

best pic i have - will do a better one tonight.... yeah i even tried autosol metal cleaner to remove it when it first happened and that didnt help - "if" scratch-x is similar it prob wont work either

doubt scratch X will help with this chap, As Dnk as said if its under the other layers then short of stripping the wheels back you wont get it off :(

Ouch mate! Stick to Bilberry wheel cleaner, its honestly all i will use to clean wheels and can be diluted to whatever strength required. I'm sure if the finish was taken back, polished and then lacquered you will have a much easier time maintaining them. Deep dish wheels like this really are hard work to keep on top of as they just trap water. I know i previously recommended poorboys wheel sealant to you to, and i do feel its a good product with a few layers, but once you have them back to a good state, get some g-techniq C5 wheel armour on them. Its very strong stuff and will last up to a year. You will need to make sure before applying this that the wheels are squeeky clean as its chemical bonding process absolutely requires this to work correctly. ie, a good wash, clay them to remove tar deposits, possibly use iron-x to get rid of any iron contaimination from the brakes and finally a couple of wipes over with ipa and then really buff this off to remove any remaining residue which hasnt evaporated. Then get the C5 on.

Nice one mate thanks alot - yes i bought that poorboys stuff and put 3 coats of it on before fitting the wheels :(

I am trying to find a cheap winter set of wheels now as the rain is coming and like you said just sits in the dish!!!

I think id rather they were just polished now TBH.... :)

Then for some STUPID reason while cleaning the car one wkend i decided to spray AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner on them :faint: .... when i cleaned it all off the chemicals in the clenaer had seeped through the little water marks and caused a fairly large smeered effect over a part of the lip, on both the rears .....

I did the same ! Tried everything, only way is a refurb but I am just going to get new wheels

Yeah sounds that way mate - although im not paying another £3000 and waiting another 4 months lol !! :D

Nice new avatar ;)

I can imagine how gutted you are about the damage. I think I'll take Stonkin's advice and get them sealed properly before fitting (if they haven't been all ready).