The mkiv Supra Owners Club

refurb, refurb, refurb.

markylee

Had a seized caliper on the osf,it was so bad that the steering started to vibrate and smoke coming off the disc, pistons were in bad shape so i bought a refurb kit and new pistons, fitted them a couple of days ago, took it for a drive today,,,, and bugger me the exact same thing happened , vibration on the steering and a smell of burning , so i pull over to check the wheel i had repaired and it was fine, so i go over to the passenger side and find a red hot disc and smoke, i mean bloody hell,,,,, whats the chances of that!!!! its not as if the car has been standing for a long time, its my daily driver , oh well , back to mr t :(

It's likely you have a warped disc which is causing some of the issue.

Are you j-spec 2 pots or UK spec 4 pots?

If j-spec how easily did the carrier slide? Often the pins and bores rot with water ingress.

I'd buy a new caliper, discs and pads to be safe on this, especially given the fact that the discs have overheated twice now.

I bet the wheel was hot to the touch too?

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

It's likely you have a warped disc which is causing sone of the issue.

Are you j-spec 2 pots or UK spec 4 pots?

If j-spec how easily did the carrier slide. Often they rot with water ingress. I'd buy a new caliper, discs and pads to be safe on this.

Thanks for that, but the caliper i repaired is working fine , its not getting hot or anything , i just found it funny that just after i repaired the drivers side...... the passenger side seized. oh and i have j spec.

Time to do things properly, like refurbishing both brake callipers at once. Not having one fresh calliper and one old one, most likely resulting in an out of balance in your braking. :rolleyes:
yep!!! cant dissagree with you their, it was just a time issue,was going to do the other one next week anyway , but thanks for the telling off :spank:

• 1 month later...